2018/06/12 14:31:49
BeenThereDoneThat.
python73
Crappie - no offense taken.  That crappie was only 1.3lbs in fact.  Most of the white crappie I've caught are skinny regardless of the lake... just thought that's the way they grew.  There are clearly big crappies in Arthur, but they aren't where I'm fishing and/or I'm not fishing right.  Which is fine really.  I fish to have fun and relax, and "hard" fishing isn't what I'm interested in.  I want to soak bait and watch bobbers go down.  Won't catch me trolling, I don't care how effective it is.  And I'm not into throwing lures.  Give me a bucket of fatheads and I'm gtg.  

Arthur cats are one of my main targets.  The average cat I keep is probably 22", which is usually a 2-3lb cat.  Couple nice fillets after you trim them up.  We don't really tie into the big cats.  Only one north of 10lbs in the past 5 years I'd say and it went back.  I know they are in there, but again, not where we fish I guess.  

....... and a good guy to fish with too.  Definitely enjoys his fishing and if tight lines becomes an option, just more good times. 
2018/06/12 16:24:33
EMitch
I'd be happy to be able to go. I like to feel anything pullin' on my string.

Stupid broken ribs!
2018/06/12 16:26:18
EMitch
!
2018/06/12 18:47:55
BeenThereDoneThat.
EMitch
I'd be happy to be able to go. I like to feel anything pullin' on my string.

Stupid broken ribs!

Godspeed with your recovery emitch.

Ummm, you wasn't fishin' with ZelieSam by chance was ya.  He can make a guy 'crack a rib' laughing.

2018/06/12 22:08:38
EMitch
Nah, BT. Accident at work. Standing on the short hoist arm to climb up into a jacked up, lifted, big tired Wrangler and the short arm swung under the Jeep and I went down backwards across the long arm of the hoist onto the floor. After a few choice words, I was layin' there runnin' body diagnostics and it was apparent somthin' broke, cause I was havin' trouble breathin'. Said it before; Life sucks and then you die! I'll survive this one, but it cramped my style for fishin' cause I was gonna take the next week for vacation, so now I'll just save that time for fall.
2018/06/12 22:42:00
BeenThereDoneThat.
Dam Mitch sure sorry to hear that. Hell I'm having trouble breathing after see your story in my minds eye. Sucks too, if I remember you were searching a contour map of a lake you were planning to fish. I'm still looking but have about exhausted my sources.
2018/06/13 06:35:48
CAPTAIN HOOK
Bummer....work still sucks....but you got to do it ...till you retire and kick back ......or die !
2018/06/13 08:29:13
ZelieSam
Luckily it only hurts when you move or breathe though... oh wait.  Rib injuries are the worst.  Speedy recovery!
2018/06/13 09:58:54
EMitch
BT, I've come to the conclusion that there is NO contour map available for Coneaut anywhere. Hard to believe with it being the lake where the PA. record for Musky came from, and also holds a pretty good population of the other game fish. Seems to me that would create an opportunity for an entrepreneur or a company, and it was surprising to me that Fishing Hot Spots didn't have one. When and if I get the chance to fish it, I'll just have to wing it with the electronics.
2018/06/13 10:33:07
roygpa
Emitch:

You could go to Navionics.com, then click on chart viewer, then zoom on Conneaut lake. Then when you get to the desired zoom level, hit your print screen button and paste it into paint and print away.  Do it multiple times for the desired areas.
Is it a pain in the butt? Yes, it is.
Do you get your contour map of Conneaut in a round about way for the cost of a few sheets of paper? Also yes. :)
If you have a friend with a laminator, the maps will last for quite awhile.

Or you could purchase a subscription to Navionics Boat app and get it that way for iOs or Android. But that costs money.
Just trying to help.
-Roy

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account