2018/01/20 15:52:48
mopars0
BeenThereDoneThat.
Made it onto the ice at Pymie today and Christened a new fishing shanty along with a new Jet sled.   Shanty was purchased through FishUSA and the sled was a last minute purchase at Richters along with a few dozen minnows and maggots.  The shanty was easy set up/tear down and fit back in the bag with absolutely no effort on my part. I took my neighbor along for a day on the ice and he set the thing up, tore it down and cursed it back in the bag..... priceless!!!  

Glad we had the shanty today, the south wind would have been just too much to enjoy sitting on the open ice.  However the sunshine was outstanding warming the hut, enough from the outside, so we could keep both doors open in the event there would need be a mad dash for a tip-up.  As for tip-ups, well yinz should know by now, I don't spot burn........  stupid fish.

Several shanty's set-up when we arrived with a few more hopefuls arriving after, but we found no one marking or catching fish. 

We vacated the the area shortly before 2:00 PM and I traveled to Lake Wilhelm where I fished with my nephew until 7:30 PM and of course, no spot burning.... stupid fish. 

. Now that is a nice hut ... don’t do the hard water fishing but glad you are having fun . Many huts out in Wilhelm? I just cooked up my last bag of fish still have hot sticks my neighbor gave me from his deer ... so if you do have a good ... I mean a great day in the hut , I’ll send you my address so you know where to drop some fish off 😜👍😜.... ok just joking ( I think ) .... enjoy your hut fishing bud .... good luck
2018/01/20 17:52:20
mikesdad
Was on Wilhelm this evening for a few hours.
Looked like a small city of huts down by the dam. Ha. Wasn't anyplace to park even if I did want to join the fun
2018/01/20 18:29:35
BeenThereDoneThat.
mikesdad
Was on Wilhelm this evening for a few hours.
Looked like a small city of huts down by the dam. Ha. Wasn't anyplace to park even if I did want to join the fun

No greater time to be on the ice than a weekend evening.  Villages of huts scattered from one end of a lake to the other, only evidenced by the twinkle of lanterns and flashlights.   Been a few years since seeing that on any local lake, especially Wilhelm.  I for one am very happy,  to see her coming back and I've a strong feeling I am not the only one..... huh, Mopars?   FYI buddy, and keep this a secrete, I got a few dozen fillets stashed just in case of a long winter so just holler, if the craving becomes unbearable.   

Like a good neighbor BTDT will be there 'cause, your in good hands.   Good grief,  I think I been mesmerized by insurance commercials, I gotta get back on the ice.
2018/01/20 18:43:29
BeenThereDoneThat.
HEY MOPARS  no time like the present buddy, the ice is 8 inches thick and we aint gotta be over deep water, not that we would fall through, but that does give one a better feeling knowing ya can touch bottom, just in case.

Ya only have to promise one thing and that's ya gotta remember who you will be fishing with,  so don't expect to catch any stupid fish. 
2018/01/20 18:58:06
Meatball
Love it, good to see you're having fun, good idea with the predrill too
2018/01/20 20:26:58
BeenThereDoneThat.
As I was leaving the park in the afternoon on the 19th, I saw a banner being staked at the entrance.  Not absolutely sure but I thought the caption read something about "Polar Bear Plunge" sometime in February?  Am I thinking that may not be a good day to be on the ice unless you enjoy watching scantly clad (as in wearing a bathing suit or speedo) individuals runnin' around on the ice looking for open water? 

Pretty sure this a fund raising event for a very good cause so if one of you guys; Captain, Jigs, Meatball, Mopars, rsquared or Marco would be interested in a sponsor, let me know.  I'd offer Registered the deal but he is crazy enough to drive all the way up here to do it.  Besides he probably has enough sponsors as is.

Oh, did I mention, pictures must and shall be taken and posted on the forum.
2018/01/20 23:44:36
mopars0
BeenThereDoneThat.
  Not absolutely sure but I thought the caption read something about "Polar Bear Plunge" sometime in February? 

so if one of you guys; “Captain, Jigs, Meatball, Mopars, rsquared or Marco” would be interested in a sponsor, let me know...

Oh, did I mention, pictures must and shall be taken and posted on the forum.
. OK HOW CAN I ANSWER THIS NICE........ HECK NOOOOO 😜👍
2018/01/21 06:27:50
BeenThereDoneThat.
Thankyou for returning my call so promptly and what a kind response. lmao

Have a great day Steve.

Going to be a beautiful day on the ice at Pymatuning today. I gotta git.
2018/01/21 08:53:20
Walleye jigs
Did that once n March, played hooky from 4th grade, broke the ice on our little orange creek stripped down and was swimming when the preacher caught me. Not being of sound mind when he yelled at me I went to the other bank. He wasn't a good pitcher cause when he tried to throw my clothes to me they did not make it! He carried me home, naked, to our back door. I remember how sweet my mother sounded while he was there and told me to take a hot bath so I wouldn't get sick. After he left she came to the bathroom door and in her sweetest voice asked if I was in the tub and when I said yes she kicked that door open with a belt and had me trapped in the tub! Never got so much as the sniffles but never went swimming in the winter again and won't so BT I'll pass. Funny part of this is I didn't get the whippin for playing hooky just for swimming.
2018/01/21 11:01:18
BeenThereDoneThat.
Allll hell Jigs, I would even paid for the Speedo. Ummm, a cheap Speedo.

Thanks for the return call and stay well.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account