2018/01/10 20:28:34
BeenThereDoneThat.
Awfully quite from the historic lake. Something telling me everybody too busy catching to be blogging???

Which is great but I'm thinking yinz might wanna keep an eye on the weather beginning this Friday afternoon thru Sat afternoon. I'll leave it ta yinz to see what the weather dude is sayin but, I'd recommend to have a look see.

Marcos if yinz is cummin muup this weekend, bring yinz snowblower.

Subject to change without further notice.
2018/01/11 14:07:01
BeenThereDoneThat.
SUBJECT TO CHANGE......  Flood and Winter Storm watch.

Hip boots may be necessary for ice fishing until the refreeze begins Friday night.

Do make sure to take along your shanty anchors.

Detailed Forecast
This Afternoon
Rain likely, mainly after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 58. South wind 11 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Tonight
Rain. Low around 44. South wind 10 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Friday
Rain before 2pm, then rain and sleet between 2pm and 4pm, then freezing rain and sleet after 4pm. Temperature falling to around 26 by 4pm. South wind 9 to 14 mph becoming north in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Friday Night
Snow and sleet, becoming all snow after midnight. Low around 14. Wind chill values as low as -2. North wind around 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Saturday
Snow. High near 17. North wind 11 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Saturday Night
A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 3. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 15.

Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 4.

M.L.King Day
A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 21. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Monday Night
A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 11. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Tuesday
A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 19. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Tuesday Night
A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 6. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Wednesday
Partly sunny, with a high near 16.
2018/01/12 09:49:40
BeenThereDoneThat.
Saw this posted on the FaceBook page for Shenango River........ accuracy not confirmed.  You be the judge!!!

2018/01/12 10:36:24
So I can get on the ice somewhere between 4" and 5" since I weigh more than 200 but less than 800?  Not saying which I'm closer to.  
2018/01/12 13:40:41
BeenThereDoneThat.
rsquared
So I can get on the ice somewhere between 4" and 5" since I weigh more than 200 but less than 800?  Not saying which I'm closer to.  

Be more than happy to have ya give it a shot, once the the temps. get back to normal for this time of year.
2018/01/19 21:53:37
BeenThereDoneThat.
Made it onto the ice at Pymie today and Christened a new fishing shanty along with a new Jet sled.   Shanty was purchased through FishUSA and the sled was a last minute purchase at Richters along with a few dozen minnows and maggots.  The shanty was easy set up/tear down and fit back in the bag with absolutely no effort on my part. I took my neighbor along for a day on the ice and he set the thing up, tore it down and cursed it back in the bag..... priceless!!!  

Glad we had the shanty today, the south wind would have been just too much to enjoy sitting on the open ice.  However the sunshine was outstanding warming the hut, enough from the outside, so we could keep both doors open in the event there would need be a mad dash for a tip-up.  As for tip-ups, well yinz should know by now, I don't spot burn........  stupid fish.

Several shanty's set-up when we arrived with a few more hopefuls arriving after, but we found no one marking or catching fish. 

We vacated the the area shortly before 2:00 PM and I traveled to Lake Wilhelm where I fished with my nephew until 7:30 PM and of course, no spot burning.... stupid fish. 

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
2018/01/19 22:26:29
Meatball
Nice
2018/01/20 09:41:26
BeenThereDoneThat.
Thank you Meatball, wasn't difficult to pick me out of the crowd, I was so happy I was glowing and you should have seen me after sundown on Wilhelm.  lol   No tight lines (that's just me, being me) but good times for sure.

While on the ice, (and not catching) I tried one of them 'chyts & giggles' experiments, you know one of them things that you laugh about years from now, and I was pleasantly surprised, and very happy to share the results.... but I'm not going to 

Seriously though, I used a 1/4" masonry bit to drill pilot holes for my ice anchors.  PRICELESS....  the anchors started really, really, easy screwing down using one finger til they bottomed out requiring a few more turns by hand to tighten.  I would think a paddle bit or a twist bit may even work better as I had to apply a bit of pressure with drilling the holes.  However, I did get better results using the drill motor on high speed.  Also the bit I was using could be a inch or so  longer which would allow for better insertion.  Wait...... What?  I should have known that, I seem to have heard that somewhere before???

I also tried driving 'Lag Screws' but ended up blowing out the ice in a giant 'Bulls-eye' untillllllll I pre-drilled the holes then the lags pulled down.  HOWEVER, I recommend NOT driving the lags down completely, leaving enough exposed, just in case you need to use a 'catspawl' to lift as you use the drill to remove the screws.  Second choice would be to just leave your shanty until the ice melts and the lag screws are no longer stuck in the ice.

Good times and tight lines.
2018/01/20 13:12:10
JM2
I thought you were told to stop these nonsense post. You're driving forum members away.
2018/01/20 14:21:46
BeenThereDoneThat.
JM2
I thought you were told to stop these nonsense post. You're driving forum members away.

Now where in the world would you hear such a silly thing as that.  Moi drive forum members away????  Why I never.... I just ignore em, especially the ones with the big mouth.

Good times and tight lines. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account