2018/12/14 10:29:49
Jester2
CAPTAIN HOOK
River Walleyes start to gather in late Jan .- March to spawn in our areas . Look for a warming spell during any of these months to trigger more activity or try mid day on.
Our go to lure .....Rapalas ....pick a color they all work...I like F13 size. Try and find any obstructions in the water farther up river or where you have caught Walleye before in spring. 
These river Eyes were caught by my son a few years ago ...along with others. Cold wading and fishing but it pays off some days!

Don't want to be a jerk Captain, but those two pre-spawn ladies are the future of the fishery.  Urge you and your son to put them back, and keep only males if possible.  Take a pic and release to let em spawn. Hard to tell in the smaller ones, but those (look to be 23-26") hogs might have 'paid it forward' by replacing themselves with another just like them 5 years down the road. Never got a chance. Plenty of ready and willing males to put tasty fillets on the table.
2018/12/14 10:42:26
Jester2
Best way to put fish in the boat is w live bait IMO. If you're new to it, sein any small creek for anything in the 2-4" range. Chubs and small suckers work, but shiners are king. Needle circle hook in the size 8 or even 10 range. Tie hook to 12-15" of line, rig below swivel, with bell sinker above it so fish can grab bait w/o feeling weight.  Bell sinker should be heavy enough to keep you bumping bottom--but not stuck to it (you will snag constantly) given current. Small bait means you don't need to let them run w it. If you're missing them, they may not be feeding as aggressively . . . then, let them have it for a 5-8 count w/o too much pressure on line.  

You can drag/drift or anchor with this method. If you anchor, feel line entire time to avoid a 12"er swallowing it and dying needlessly.

Next best is rubber on jig with stinger hook. Dirtier water, darker colors for contrast. Clearer, can go chartreuse/watermelon/pink/white (in that order IMO). Want weight to be enough to have you on bottom w/o getting hung up. If you're not touching bottom on each cast, you won't catch Eyes.

Graduate level anglers use blade baits . . . Cicadas in varying colors/accents. Know guys who swear by them and don't even chuck meat or jigs any more. I'm not that good, and only use it when the bite is great.  Need the right rod/line setup to feel the bite, which is often on the down jig rather than up.  

Stiff rod essential regardless. Lighter the line, the better. I use 6lb magnathin (from boat not anchored). If you're anchored or shore fishing, can go up to 10 lb--and will need to.

Hope that helps.  Allegheny and French Creek my go To's.  Mouths of creeks . . . no matter how small . .. underappreciated. If there is an eddy downstream from the creek going into larger body of water, there will be a few Eyes stacked there.

Good luck!

2018/12/14 10:45:32
Jester2
FishinGuy
I fish Creek chubs for them. Bigger seems better for bait for me. 1/8 oz jig head or short shank hook with a split shot about 6" up. Cast up into a current seam and drag it real slow along the bottom. I do better on eyes on cloudy, rainy, or snowy days.

Agreed.

Sunny skies and clear water likely wasting your time until right before dark.

But, really any overcast day will do if you find them.

Some of my best days have been in the rain/snow when no one else is on the water.
2018/12/14 11:15:30
fallschirmjaeger
Really great tips Jester...thank you.  Anyone have any concerns on the braid vs mono/flouro for river fishing eyes?
2018/12/14 23:41:07
BeenThereDoneThat.
Fun stuff to help pass, cabin fever.

https://youtu.be/KhFZkQE6QMI
2018/12/15 18:06:45
treesparrow
I ice fish for eyes when I can. Last couple years have been a bust and I have only caught a few. Three years ago I iced about 40. We had a long season with good ice. My son and I have caught eyes from Wilhelm Conneaut and Pymatuning. Pymatuning is the best in my opinion for catching eyes. I jig with Pimples, Jigging Raps or Blade Baits. Blade Baits are by far the best performers. Eyes move back and forth on bars. They come up on them in the evening and go back off in morning. If you can find the fish highway you will do well. Cloudy days seem best with early and late ice also best. It can be a long dull sit or quite exciting. Just when you think you have them figured out things change. I guess if I had it all figured out it wouldn't be any fun anymore.
2018/12/16 09:38:48
graveydavey
You can't fish braid when its freezing weather.
2018/12/18 08:43:03
treesparrow
I fish braid through the ice with a flouro leader. There are some braids designed for ice fishing. I have never tried casting braid in the winter and agree it probably would not work.
2018/12/20 22:05:49
looch325
I like using a jigging rap in the winter whether we have ice or not in the winter. it's an ice lure(vertical jigging). gets down bottom easy, put it right in front of their face in a boat or on ice. ice I just use a smaller one normally. I've even found ways to catch sauger and walleye from the bank, off walls and turbines 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account