2018/12/09 19:31:46
fallschirmjaeger
I suck at walleye fishing.  Even worse, I am a terrible winter fisherman.  However, I would love to put those boring winter months to good use.  I know there are some exceptional walleye fishermen on this forum.  Please share some information on how to catch winter Walleye here in Western PA.  Jigging, baits, structure/locations in creeks, etc.  Rod length/weight/type, line type/weight, weight types/amounts, etc?  Anyone have any good French Creek walleye tips for near Frankin?  Any input or strategies would be great.  Can we start with winter walleye square one basics and go from there?  No detail is too basic... Thanks guys for any help... This forum has been great.
2018/12/12 20:18:25
fallschirmjaeger
Nothing?  Doe anyone have any tips?
2018/12/12 21:05:25
Porktown
I am probably worse at catching winter eyes. Summer, Spring and Fall I am not very good at either. That said, I have caught an okay amount and have caught many from tips on these forums over the years. One thing about walleye for inland waters, people are a bit tight lipped compared to other species. Use the search function and I would bet that you will find a lot of techniques guys use. Whether they will work for you, who knows. I say that, as I have used, to my best ability and nothing.
Someone that knows what they are doing, changes something minor that I am doing wrong likely limits out standing next to me! Best bet is to try to gather as much as you can and keep trying. God is good, he’ll throw you a bone every so often to help figure things out!
From what I know about winter, many are deep, where water is more in the temps they like. Also where the bait is more comfortable. Or, where the bait is dying and easy pickings. I have tried it a bunch of times and nothing for my efforts. I don’t mind trying to put time in and figure out when not freezing my rear off. But winter fishing, has to have some sort of catching or just not worth it for me.
2018/12/12 21:49:41
BeenThereDoneThat.
fallschirmjaeger
Nothing?  Doe anyone have any tips?

If this vid doesn't show what you need, there should be plenty others listed that might help.

https://youtu.be/D-UEM16P5Ss
2018/12/13 06:32:44
fallschirmjaeger
Thank you Porktown and BTDT... I appreciate your input and responses.  I've been doing a good bit of reading and watching videos and I was just hoping someone would have a some tips specific for our local water (French and the Allegheny) for river walleye.  Colors, weights, jig styles etc I think matter a great deal when youre dealing with cold finicky fish and I also think local fish tend to like specific things and I'm just trying to figure them out.  I will take both of your advice and keep searching.  If anyone else would like to share some tips but do not want to broadcast them, shoot me a PM.  

2018/12/13 08:32:16
If you’re on Facebook check out Steel City Anglers Fishing Forum. There have been lots of walleye related posts on there in the past week or two.

I’ve never fished for late fall/winter eyes so I got nothin’ but hope ya find some good info there.
2018/12/13 09:35:05
CAPTAIN HOOK
River Walleyes start to gather in late Jan .- March to spawn in our areas . Look for a warming spell during any of these months to trigger more activity or try mid day on.
Our go to lure .....Rapalas ....pick a color they all work...I like F13 size. Try and find any obstructions in the water farther up river or where you have caught Walleye before in spring. 
These river Eyes were caught by my son a few years ago ...along with others. Cold wading and fishing but it pays off some days!

2018/12/13 12:11:12
FishinGuy
I fish Creek chubs for them. Bigger seems better for bait for me. 1/8 oz jig head or short shank hook with a split shot about 6" up. Cast up into a current seam and drag it real slow along the bottom. I do better on eyes on cloudy, rainy, or snowy days.
2018/12/13 14:10:37
Ugly Stik
The winter bite can be very light and I generally give the fish some time before setting the hook. Winter also brings the occasional muskie.
2018/12/13 17:40:06
fallschirmjaeger
Great discussion.  Thanks to everyone for their input and help.  Trust me, I more than likely won't be raking them in, but catching one here and there would put a fat grin on my face.  I appreciate it...

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account