2018/11/28 06:44:27
KJN
Can anyone tell me how much snow is on the ground in Tionesta?   I would like to put the boat in up there and try for some walleye.  I don't want to make the trip if I'm going to have a hard time putting the boat in and out of the river.
2018/11/28 07:31:12
super bassman
About 3in of snow , but the river is 3ft high and muddy
2018/11/28 09:01:45
KJN
Thanks for the reply.   It has been tough this fall to get the river level fishable and be off work at the same time.
2018/11/28 20:32:44
EMitch
KJN
  It has been tough this fall to get the river level fishable and be off work at the same time.

It's actually been tough on the Allegheny all year, spring through fall. I've only been out 4 times, 3 of them in high, fast (but not muddy) water. Right now at Freeport it's at least 3' up, and the borough hasn't even been able to remove the docks from the river and at the launch on Buffalo Creek. They usually have them out the end of October.
2018/12/02 20:09:32
Ugly Stik
I like to fish the river when it's high. The walleyes stack up in the current breaks.
2018/12/03 16:37:10
Jester2
High = good. More off color than you would think = good. But, blown out (e.g., no way to attribute any shade but brown to the water color) = waste of time and gas money. That's true no matter where you are. Don't sleep on the river in Oil City--entire stretch from Oil Ck. mouth down to fast water at bend holds the same or better Walleye population than farther up river. Less crowded too.
2018/12/04 15:27:04
psu_fish
Jester2
High = good. More off color than you would think = good. But, blown out (e.g., no way to attribute any shade but brown to the water color) = waste of time and gas money. That's true no matter where you are. Don't sleep on the river in Oil City--entire stretch from Oil Ck. mouth down to fast water at bend holds the same or better Walleye population than farther up river. Less crowded too.

Um, spot burn?
2018/12/04 15:33:43
pensfan1
We fished the River for years back in the 80s n early 90s. Many spots from Franklin up to the Tionesta Bridge. I wont put them out on open air, but many many spots. It's been so long some may be posted by now. Who knows
2018/12/04 17:08:33
BeenThereDoneThat.
psu_fish
Jester2

Um, spot burn?

Haa ha...... spot burn?? Anybody what's ever feeshed the mighty Allegheny (LaBelleRivere) muup stream from Franklin to Oil Cty knows to feesh where the dredging ended and just down stream there of.
2018/12/05 10:01:59
KJN
I fished the river a few times this past week. I'm fishing between the locks and the current is still swift.  Ugly stik mentions current breaks.  I was fishing creek mouths (not a big secret) and had most of my success actually trowing out into the river current.  The fish seemed to prefer the current.  I caught very few in the creek itself.
Do you guys think the fish are there b/c of the creek and not so much for the current break that happens where the creek meets the river?  When I think I got stuff figured out, I don't.   The fish usually end up humbling me.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account