2018/03/05 15:52:13
CAPTAIN HOOK
Yea that's a total joke stocking those Trout up in that section 3 of the river. Terrible access , slower flowing, no decent parking, more obstructions in water and along banks. It basically has nothing going for it. Why they don't just continue stocking the lower river like they did for over 40 years just makes common sense.

There's no way those Trout will pick up PCB's the short time they are in that lower river section. Hell, probably most are lucky to live two weeks after they are stocked! They act like those stockies live for years ! Besides just put out an official warning limiting eating Trout just like Erie fish if they are so worried. They still stock smolts in Erie and they all come back years later loaded up with carcinogens.

Your right BTDT most will wash into the lake fast and never be seen again....what a waste of good money and time ! 

They need to do a study to prove those stockies contain "any PCB's" after released....I'll bet it will be near zero ! Where's the biologist report on that study ????

Ever hear the saying" Dead in the water " ? 
2018/03/05 20:22:30
EMitch
They use trout for striper bait on Raystown, so all those trout that wash into Shenango will become prey for the wipers, and the Northerns and the Muskies, and ....oh, wait! My bad!
2018/03/05 20:59:56
BeenThereDoneThat.
Be needing a trout stamp to fish Shenango within five years. The PCB issue was a smoke screen to end the stocking below the dam and begin dumping all the excess trout above the dam year round eventually contaminating the lake with a non-native fish.

Be gettin some things done this summer, to include tossing flys on the mighty Neshannock . Going to hang an out of town sign on the door. Maybe catch yinz on the rebound.

Good time and tight lines.
2018/03/05 21:42:16
VKT
Great now I have to go back and buy a trout stamp for the crappie run, the predators should be pretty well fed this year.
Not buying this pollution story this water has always had warnings what changed?

2018/03/06 10:51:47
CAPTAIN HOOK
Yea they were suppose to do a more intense follow up study as to why and where the PCB's were coming from. We know they are industry related, problem is most industries along the lower river are gone or the few left have been complying with federal water regulations for years. Still remains a mystery as to why a sudden elevation in fish now ! 

The river has such strong high flowing currents almost year round it's hard to believe any chemicals can survive that steady flushing out of water. One can never tell by looking, the river flows very clear, has a huge Caddis hatches every year, and fish appear to look very healthy in all species. After all Trout have been stocked here for over almost fifty years steady without issues ! To top it off about 40,000 people drink the water from here daily after being processed from the Aqua Water Company !  

One year later and still no answers or new information .
Is it worse ? Better ? Same ?
Still testing fish ?
How many species tested ?
Can PCB's enter into stocked fish that fast ? 
What sections of river tested worse ? Lower Shenango must be well over thirty miles long from the dam on down past New Castle.     
2018/03/06 17:02:08
Ugly Stik
For years Westinghouse put a lot of PCB's into that river from it's transformer business. The Hudson River had a similar issue and efforts were made to clean up the river however PCB's are heavy and remain a problem. I always enjoyed fishing that stretch of river. You never knew what you would catch. You would think the heavy flow of water below the **** would reduce the pollutants in that area.
2018/03/07 05:08:13
thunderpole
I can't believe there doing that that's stupid ruin another good fishing area
2018/03/07 05:17:09
thunderpole
That section is all frog water basically instead they should just dump em off main street bridge threwout Greenville I know slot of old heads that's gonna **** off who don't trout fish not to mention the extra crowds it's gonna bring now the dutches can poach trout with there 14in out of season walleyes
2018/03/08 09:50:06
CAPTAIN HOOK
They seem to not be sure where the PCB's are coming from. Westinghouse did get the blame years ago, but also they did share a massive clean up bill on the Shenango River. They actually dredged tons of river bottom out years ago. Not saying they cleaned it all out, but I'm sure they test water and fish species every so often. Just seems strange that the elevation in fish has increased even higher even though most industries along the lower Shenango has decreased highly over the past years. Seems the water tested by Aqua Water Co. is within PCB acceptance to drink to all it's Shenango Valley customers. So the questions remain where are they (PCBs) coming from, and why now the higher increase in fish ?   

One year later and still no good info or reports, just the shutting down of all stocking of fish by the PBFC. I guess our Federal and State biologist are stymied or don't care !  
2018/03/31 08:16:53
BeenThereDoneThat.
Shenango River Lake added 12 new photos to the album: Stocking Trout in the Shenango River, 3/29/18.17 hrs · 

The Pa. Fish and Boat Commission, volunteers, and Shenango staff stocked trout in the river on Thursday, between Big Bend and New Hamburg. Anglers are reminded that trout will not be stocked in the outflow of the dam or points downstream, due to a "Do Not Eat" advisory from both the DEP and Pa. Fish and Boat Commission for all species of fish caught in the river below the dam only.

Visit Shenango River Lake Facebook for more exciting info.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account