2018/02/05 09:48:48
BeenThereDoneThat.
I got a response from ODNR; after two emails asking for information pertaining to the numbers of Walleye, or where I may find such information, stocked by the ODNR into Pymatuning I receive a response asking me what my question or concern was.

Stay tuned!!!!

As for conditions at the lake, the Facebook page has no update for this day, I guess the guvment shut down again
2018/02/05 09:58:40
BeenThereDoneThat.
ALLLLLLL RIGHTY THEN...........  I got a response from the ODNR and a very nice response I might add.  ODNR does stock Walleye into Pymatuning every may and the numbers are.........  be right back, after a word from our sponsor

where with an order of $50.00, Shipping is always free...... BUT WAIT!!
2018/02/05 11:29:07
mopars0
BTDT .... Monday morning ( almost noon ) entertainment .... thanks bud πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜œ
2018/02/05 13:27:32
CAPTAIN HOOK
I'm hearing good ice on Shenango ....around 10" in most spots......white bass , crappie, and a few perch feeding. I'll wait till spring or the next warming trend.
2018/02/05 14:10:40
outasync
Had 11 inches past 2 weeks. Caught a bunch of dinks. Only about 10 keepers out of 4 trips
2018/02/05 20:58:28
EMitch
This may be a bit off topic, but looking back at trapnet figures from 2010 up, Shenango just may become the "dead sea" in a few years. Right now, it seems the crappie numbers are pretty good, but it just ain't a place to be targeted for Musky, Northerns, or Walleyes. I think the PFBC would rather it be noted as a trophy catfish lake. I've been reading what other states do when they start gettin' lower trapnet numbers besides stocking; notably Minnesota and Wisconsin. Minnesota's slot limits are the exact opposite of the Pa's. For their crappie and bluegills, they want the largest ones released, and here, like on Pymie, you can only keep a 9" crappie and up, so, there goes the better breeding stock. We may soon end up with lots of stunted fish. Not good for the average angler, but won't make any difference to the "straw hatters", who grind every fish they catch. I think we need less college educated fishery biologists and we need to replace them with some "common sense" administrators. If you practice "selective harvest", you're doing the best you can to sustain the fishery. That's just common sense. I rarely keep any fish I catch, but on occasion will harvest a few walleyes for table fare. My boys and I have our own "slot limit", no matter where we fish. 15" to 17" walleyes max. Everything else goes back. You can get a decent fillet from a 16" fish, so no reason to be a hog.
2018/02/05 22:40:32
CAPTAIN HOOK
I agree slot limits would not be a bad thing on most fishing. Gets you use to releasing big and small  fish, but you also get to keep a few in between ones for eating . Just makes sense any way you look at it. Worked wonders for NY Lake Trout numbers over the years.
2018/02/05 23:08:30
BeenThereDoneThat.
PA. says natural spawning occurs very little in the Keystone waters and what hatch does take place, produces a very low survival rate. ODNR says spawning does occur in the Buckeye waters but there is a need to suppliment area waters through stocking.

I have additional information to post regarding reports from ODNR and will gladly do so as soon as I can convert PDF files to jgp, jpg mgp, mpg or whatever the hell the stupid files need be to post.😑

I should like to add, I received two very nice responses today from persons working in the ODNR with a welcome to ask additional questions anytime.

One regulation change that I would agree with regarding Walleye in Pymatuning would be a closed season during spawning.
2018/02/05 23:42:16
mopars0
Well i’m In favor of the closed season at Pymatuning for walleye spawning. My buddy has a camp up near North Bay about 60 mile ls north of there. They started a slot program up there too, haven’t been up there for a few years due to having a stroke 6 yrs ago while I was up at his camp ... anyhow he said a lot of the locals are not happy with the slot program. Think it is anything 18 or 19” & larger has to be released ... might be wrong but think that is what he told me .
2018/02/06 07:41:05
Ugly Stik
The fish commission needs to understand that poor fishing regardless of lake has a huge effect on local economies. Last year on some days I was one of very few burning gas and buying bait.  

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account