2018/10/02 20:58:03
BeenThereDoneThat.

I'M SO HAPPY HAPPY............

Trout chucking at it's best

Shenango River Lake 
10 hrs · 

Trout were stocked yesterday in the Shenango River, above the lake in the New Hamburg area.

2018/10/03 09:29:29
CAPTAIN HOOK
Thanks for the info and pics.......Trout toss contest !
2018/10/03 10:07:51
BeenThereDoneThat.
I don't know how others might feel Captain but I'm sticking to my belief anglers will be required to have a trout stamp for fishing Shenango River Lake by 2020, if not sooner.

Won't surprise me to hear trout being caught through the ice this coming winter.

There is no doubt many of the stocked trout will make it to the lake. Although I'm thinking, upon seeing the method pictured above, some will be arriving at the lake, belly up.

Good times, tight lines and enjoy those trout.
2018/10/03 12:13:51
BeenThereDoneThat.

There is no doubt many of the stocked trout will make it to the lake. Although I'm thinking, upon seeing the method pictured above, some will be arriving at the lake, belly up.

Guess it would've been too much work, and a missed photo opportunity, for Mr. and Mrs. Green Jeans to hand the buckets to the gentleman wearing waders and standing in the water?  

I got no skin in the game on Shenango (have fished there a few times in the past), but I agree with ya - trout stamps are coming as soon as the first reports of trout caught in the lake.  Although I'd imagine the abundant pike and wipers there will benefit more from the trout than anglers will.  
2018/10/04 09:10:56
woodnickle
I stopped by that spot on Monday... wasn't sure if I was at the right spot till I saw the dead trout laying on the bottom. Yep they could have at least tossed them out away from the rocks
2018/10/04 09:54:40
CAPTAIN HOOK
Yea I have to agree not the best way to handle stocking fish with guys in waders standing there, plus about 20 yards below is a small creek flowing and one would only have to tip the bucket upside down right off the bank. Seems everyone is in a hurry anymore to get done ! What's next buckets off the bridges ?

I'm really not seeing a Trout stamp showing up with indirect stream stocking....just like the many Trout streams that feed into the Alleghany yet no Trout stamp needed on the big A to fish......but one never knows.

This area ( upper Shenango ) is so under fished do to limited access. The high banks are almost impassable and unfishable with thick brush and tree limbs. Parking is very limited along the whole stretch, and the river is just about 80 % slow dead flowing water. I'll be surprised in the future if it still gets Trout stockings. I see the commission erasing this area in the future to save money with the excuse nobody uses it enough. The lower Shenango was 100 x's better access, parking, and all over availability, but with the PCB scare and no further studies one of the best fishing areas in Western Pa. has been tomb stoned !    
2018/10/04 11:18:29
BeenThereDoneThat.
Two good points on the trout stamp Brock.   
2018/10/04 13:10:57
woodnickle
It's a waste to stock there... very unsafe and definitely not suited for trout
2018/10/05 07:59:16
jat1007
my only question is why dont they ever just easily dump the fish in too the water is it necessary to heave them through the air..... look at the first pic of the guy... it looks as if he is trying to throw them high...... i really dont get it...

ive fished many trout streams in PA...to name a few...  Oil, sandy, slippery rock, neshannock, sugar, tionesta, all were nice and great scenery but Lower shenango was my absolute favorite water to fish for stocked trout.... seemed as if there were more fish and the fish in there were bigger and fought harder than regular stocked trout... maybe more food?  disappointing that they dont put them in there anymore... we would catch nice trout in there almost year round and the old winter stocking they used to do in february was great.... there was ALWAYS a good trout population and you always knew you could scratch your itch when you went there..... walleye fishing was great too..... we lost them stockings and now trout...  

the stretch that is stocked in upper shenango is just as suitable as lower... in terms of the water.... there are plenty of nice runs and pools and shallow areas where they stock and are perfect for trout to hide out..... 

to add on to what captain said.... the only issue is there is limited access, parking and its difficult to get back in there with the thick brush... and the brush is ALL sharp jaggers..... but there is plenty of nice "trout water"

the last time i went there a nice path was starting to get worn down tho so maybe that will help.... 

but to say its less suitable for trout than the lower river is just wrong.
2018/10/05 08:01:24
jat1007
woodnickle
It's a waste to stock there... very unsafe and definitely not suited for trout

i disagree

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account