2018/05/12 16:52:59
thunderpole
Them numbers don't make sense lol after I read it but mostly dinks the past 2 weeks I only keep 9"+
2018/05/12 19:22:14
EMitch
Rather than go back and edit my post about the crappie size, after looking at the statistics from the trap netting, it appears that Black Crappie outnumber the White Crappie by about a 15 to 1 margin. Nothing wrong with harvesting a large fish for a picture or to hang on the wall, but if the biggest and best are released to the grease, the numbers show that stunting will increase. If a slot of say 8" to 11"
are allowed to be harvested, and everything above and below released, then the possibility to sustain a trophy fishery could be attained. 
From personal experience on Lady Evelyn Lake in Ontario, my first trip up in '06 we used 15" to 17" walleyes for shore lunch. A 17" to 24" slot was implemented, with one trophy above 24" allowed. Went back up in '07, '08, '09, '11, and 2012. Fish were gettin' bigger every year. By the time 2012 rolled around, we couldn't hardly get any fish for shore lunch. Most all the walleyes we caught were too big!, in the slot. Makes for a lot of good sized fish, and a quality fishery. Slot limits work, but it's really hard to convince fishermen that selective harvest is needed to sustain, and apparently even harder to convince the biologists.
So let's hear it. Are ya for or agin slot limits?
2018/05/12 21:00:53
outasync
Lady Evelyn lake? My inlaws fish up there every year in August.
2018/05/12 21:45:33
thunderpole
Or haul in the dutch! They will keep plenty of shrimpys to grind up to balance everything out again!
2018/05/12 23:13:34
CAPTAIN HOOK
You are right about slot limits ......fish size does increase as the years progress. Lake Trout in Niagara / Lake Ontario are proof of that. They had slots on them for years and the size shot up very noticeable . Of course Lakers live a long time so it was easier to notice the size changes years later. Slot limits made that possible and now protect the bigger breeders. Not sure how long Crappies live but it would protect the bigger breeding females .
2018/05/13 00:06:28
outasync
Mosquito has had a size and bag limit for years on crappie (2010 i believe it started) and there doesnt seem to be any shortage on keeper sized crappie there.
2018/05/13 08:04:13
BeenThereDoneThat.
Slot limits are said, by some, to be successful in reviving of fish when overfishing has threatened numbers.

Slot limits are said, by some, to produce larger breeders responsible for producing larger offspring.

Slot limits are also said, by some, not to be worth the effort.

Size/creel limits are said, by some, to creat bigger and better quality fish.

Size/creel limits are said, by some, to produce over populating and cause stunting.

Some say (in years gone by) water quality, temp, season length, food supply, etc. is why southern lakes harbor greater numbers of bigger fish like bass/crappie (A/K/A; specs, calico), Bluegill (A/K/A; brim, shell crackers, etc.) while the northern lakes produce bigger walleye, pike, trout.

Size/creel limits are said, by some, to over populate and cause stunting.

I'm torn. I shall need more time conducting studies, before I can form my opinion, regarding this matter.

Gone fishin. 👍
2018/06/03 15:33:40
CAPTAIN HOOK
I better put up a few fishing pics quick, guys talking about buying underwear on FE sites WTH ?....lol

No real big boys yet just some good scrappy size Stripers....all released.

I have another good photo but it's not for the weak stomach type person.....buried a hook deep into my leg.....beware of jumping fish with plugs hanging from mouths ! Emergency room people enjoyed the business. I'll post it on a separate site for anyone interested....not fun!

2018/06/03 16:35:04
BeenThereDoneThat.
Speaking of which underwear to buy, Kevlar long johns, never leave home without em.  

Did the Doc use the the old "Hook & Loop" removal technique?

https://youtu.be/fOoardRmtSU?t=14

Not to change the subject, but right now, (1630hrs;06/03) it's raining like the proverbial "Cow & Flat Rock".  Not certain, but it looks like my Amish neighbors are out in the field, building an Ark.

PS.  Captain very nice catch, congratulations.
2018/06/03 19:03:18
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Looks like fun times captain! Thanks for the pics. Sorry to hear about the hook in the leg. Stuck a treble in my finger a few years back smally fishing on French creek. Everyone within a mile probably thought I was crazy as I laughed hysterically while jamming it the rest of the way through so I could cut it off at the barb.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account