• Northwest PA
  • Any Justus/Two Mile Experienced People Out There? (p.3)
2019/02/13 09:11:09
psu_fish
CAPTAIN HOOK
Have to be a real fluke in Two Mile if true.......a 12 lb. Walleye is super rare in almost all inland lakes in Western Pa.....Allegheny yes...French Creek yes.... even Erie a 15lber is rare as Big Foot.

Do they still stock Tigers in Justice ? That's another stocking program fading from the PBFC fast !
I thought I read it was about done everywhere..... no Tigers , no Walleye, and Trout cut way back too....what the hell ...we keep going backwards on fish programs more and more......sad

Two Mile is 144 acres in surface. Kahle Lake is 251, there was a 30 inch walleye caught out of Kahle in July 2018, I've seen the photo of the that fish, and it might be 10 lb walleye on its best day. So I think it is about .0001% chance a 17lb walleye came from Two Mile.

If you go to PFBC Warmwater/Coolwater Stocking page, you will see PFBC last stocked 2700 walleye fingerling in Two mile in 2015.

WW/CW records go from 2000-2018, and it seems PFBC has stocked both purebreds and tigers in Two Mile. In 2018, they stocked 100 yearling Tiger Musky's, and in 2016 they stocked 750 Tiger fingerlings.

If they keep putting yearlings into lakes, we should see better musky fishing, as those yearlings should survive better.

We found this dead one 11/4/18 on Two Mile, big ol Tiger...looks to have been dead for a good while

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
2019/02/13 10:23:59
CAPTAIN HOOK
That's good that they are still stocking the Tigers there IMO....some have some really cool colors and stripes and are a rare catch on most waters . They grow quick so they do have that success going . I'd say the yearlings were decent size when stocked and should have excellent survival chances.
I was fortunate on Pymy and landed and released this one while wading by myself that got me in the record books in 2013 for 3rd largest Tiger caught that year. It smacked a stickbait at daylight and had the faded stripes . The PFBC ruled it a Tiger with the photos I sent in.

Got lucky on photo'ing this fish before release, battery was low blinking when I set up.    

2019/02/13 11:33:11
Ugly Stik
As I stated earlier check the mounted walleye in the Two Mile Park office. I believe it's nearing 36". I've fished Two Mile for most of my life and have seen muskie and walleye of trophy size. Don't be surprised if a big rainbow hits your muskie lure.
2019/02/13 16:22:09
CAPTAIN HOOK
I fished Justice twice in my travels....nice lake. What is the forage base in Justice ? Shenango is Shad by the trillions, Pymy is Shad and Alewives mixed.

A 36" Walleye is a super fish , to bad it died in a gill net . Wonder why the PFBC stopped the Walleye stocking if it was producing good size fish ? Then again any excuse works for them to stop stocking. Our lower Shenango River was producing numbers and good size fish both , but they still stopped all Walleye stocking in 2007. Now with the PCB scare and BS it's off all stocking.

I've seen 10lbers come out of lower Shenango almost every year along with huge Stripers , Catfish , Pike ,and Musky .
2019/02/14 08:27:44
psu_fish
Ugly Stik
As I stated earlier check the mounted walleye in the Two Mile Park office. I believe it's nearing 36". I've fished Two Mile for most of my life and have seen muskie and walleye of trophy size. Don't be surprised if a big rainbow hits your muskie lure.

There has not and will not be a 17 lb walleye coming out of 2Mile, ever.

10-12 lb is much more believable, when the lake benefitted from the stocking program.
2019/02/14 08:57:32
BeenThereDoneThat.
Cap. doesn't it seem, a pattern exist within the PFBC stocking program?

Begin stocking trout, end stocking walleye?

Speaking of Shenango Shad. Not long before them trout downstream of Hamburg find the lake. Maybe a few years but think when those trout migrate back upstream. Congo Lines on the Shenango. Priceless๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’

Oooops my bad..... no spot burning.๐Ÿ˜œ
2019/02/14 13:13:06
psu_fish
CAPTAIN HOOK
I fished Justice twice in my travels....nice lake. What is the forage base in Justice ? Shenango is Shad by the trillions, Pymy is Shad and Alewives mixed.

A 36" Walleye is a super fish , to bad it died in a gill net . Wonder why the PFBC stopped the Walleye stocking if it was producing good size fish ? Then again any excuse works for them to stop stocking. Our lower Shenango River was producing numbers and good size fish both , but they still stopped all Walleye stocking in 2007. Now with the PCB scare and BS it's off all stocking.

I've seen 10lbers come out of lower Shenango almost every year along with huge Stripers , Catfish , Pike ,and Musky .

Justus/Two Mile has never met the minimum criteria for the Walleye Management plan, hence it was removed from Walleye stocking after 2015.

Here is the 2000 biologist report. PFBC has pretty much all but stop stocking brown trout....they dump piles of Rainbows in now, and its been that way for past several years. Rainbows cost less

Justus Lake is a 144-acre lake in Venango County, which the Commission has managed under Big Bass regulations since 1998.  The spring survey in 2000 indicates that bass densities have increased and so have numbers of larger-sized individual bass.  The total catch of 338 largemouth bass yielded a catch rate of 218 bass per hour with 29 per hour greater than 12 inches and 8 per hour greater than 15 inches in length.  As a spin-off of the Big Bass regulations, noticeable numbers of quality size bluegill and yellow perch were sampled.
Walleye continue to be present in low numbers.  No exceptional size walleye were sampled this spring. Five tiger muskellunge and one purebred muskellunge were sampled in trapnets.  The tigers ranged in size from 14 to 43 inches in length.  The three largest individuals were 36", 38", and 43".  The purebred muskellunge was one of the heaviest observed in recent years.  The 49 13/16" female weighed slightly over 42 pounds and had not spawned as of mid May.
Justus Lake is somewhat special in that it is also capable of supporting trout year around.  It is included in the catchable stocking program and trout are taken all summer in the deeper parts of the lake.  Historically, it produces several 20" brown trout annually.  This relatively small lake has motor restrictions which allow electric motors only.
-- Fisheries Management Area 2
2019/02/14 17:01:34
CAPTAIN HOOK
I do expect some trophy Trout taken from Shenango Lake in the near future with all the stocking now in the upper river. By the looks of the river yesterday every fish should have been blown down stream into the lake. 

The PFBC Inland Walleye stocking program now is just an excuse to stock even less fish in our lakes.  They need to stock fingerlings and quit wasting time on fry. Fry only sound good in stocking numbers ...."we stocked 100,000 fry " big deal ,about 950,000 died the first year .    
2019/02/15 09:01:01
psu_fish
I'm kind of of torn on walleye stocking. Yes, I want more lakes with walleyes, but if there some lakes that cant support walleyes, why waste the money.

I wish PFBC would do away with the big bass regs on Two Mile and Kahle. Most of the bass you will catch are sub 15 inches, with 10-12 being closer to the norm (and yes I know, you can still catch a biggun once and awhile in the spring spawn). Go back to 12 inch & limit of 6 fish, instead of 15 inch/4 fish. Cut back on some of the bass in the lake, then stock some larger fingerling walleye, maybe more will take hold.
2019/02/15 10:52:33
CAPTAIN HOOK
I read where one state ( maybe Mich. )  stocks only all fingerlings every other year so as not to have as much competition with that class of fish for feed. ....makes sense IMO. This way they have the money to raise more fingerlings ,and also getting better size fish to stock and better survival rates. Seems their program is working well and they are getting the biggest bang for the buck too !

Lets face facts most fry stockings are about a waste of money and time.  Why do you think the Trout they stock are all legal size on up...wonder why hardly any trout fry are stocked?
The PFBC really need to step up their Walleye program ...the Inland program they are using now is a future and present failure for most local waters other than Pymy.....and they receive millions every year!

Just think if they stocked 6" Walleye like the Trout program....I guarantee the survival numbers would increase 90% !

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account