2015/09/30 00:36:31
CAPTAIN HOOK
Believe it or not my favorite fishing is wading the rivers and shore lake wading. I've owned 3 boats and still have one I use but I really enjoy wading and casting. I still enjoy our local waters but the Great Lakes are a spoiler. Erie Smallmouth are a blast in the Spring time but so are the Steelhead that will soon be migrating up. I guess it's a calendar thing for me over the years. Spring... Erie Smallmouth, or Steelhead , or Shenango River Walleye , or Pymy Walleyes. Late Spring .....Pymy Musky, or Shenango Hybrid Stripers. Summer....local lakes for the mix, Walleye trolling Erie. Fall.....Steelhead, on Erie, and Ohio ,and Ontario, and Niagara River for Lakers, Steelies ,and Salmon. Winter.....stay home and keep warm I don't ice fish ! All fishing is good. I enjoy fishing for bigger sporting fish but catching a bunch of Bluegill with kids is fun in it's own way too!

2015/09/30 01:14:41
moooooo4me
Hook, I can read your posts all day and not get tired of reading them. maybe ill see you or your boy along the river again someday. here's a few of mine from this year. 

35 inch pike caught on a large shiner after dark on the lower Shenango

27 inch pike caught on a clown pattern F-13 rapala. Mahoning river

31 inch carp caught on a crayfish on the neshannock. this fish was caught on ultra light gear 4lb test and took about 25 minutes to get in.

this cat was also caught on a crayfish the same night the carp was caught, this picture does that fish no justice, this fish was a pig

im also positive this guy cleaned us of about a dozen shiners. the hook was removed after the picture and  he was released

The older I get and the more time I spend on the water. I realize its not all about catching fish but more less enjoying time spent outdoors, im hoping this fall yields more success like I've had over the summer. good luck everyone 
2015/09/30 09:02:26
CAPTAIN HOOK
Thanks, I remember we met up at Pymatuning a few years ago........Nice pics.......Like to hear more about that Mahoning River fishing. Shenango holds some nice Pike that's a good one.
2015/09/30 11:02:36
brock, i too have had three boats but found i enjoyed the waders so much more.  just getting them on and off as i get older seems to have become a chore in cold or wet weather....lol.
2015/09/30 12:24:30
BeenThereDoneThat.
Rap that's why I have a boat and still; I pay for it, the next day! :'-/

We having fun...... yet?????
2015/09/30 12:51:44
bottom line:  i'd rather have a sore back from and while fishing than a sore back from and  while working.
2015/09/30 23:14:18
CAPTAIN HOOK
I just got a new pair of lightweight wader / boots and man they are a bugger to get off and that was just in the house ! I got a light and heavy pair of waders with the boot already attached and they are much easier. My Dad never had a boat so we grew up basically wading lake shores and creeks so It's still in my blood.
2015/10/01 00:08:48
CAPTAIN HOOK
John, if you haven't fished the big water put it on your bucket list next year. Even with a smaller boat (16 ft.) Erie is safe with the right conditions. I would recommend going for Smallies along the shores first before running out for Walleye or Perch. I like the Northeast launch it's not as busy and a little easier to get in and out. Check your weather several days before and look for variable winds with waves 2 ft. or less all day. Head straight out of the launch and head West staying in about 30ft. or less of water. I'm talking Spring time like early May on till about June. Plan on fishing clear water so lighter line with med action rods will work. Pick a spot and start drifting or casting anything Bass like. Try live bait like Shiners or Fatheads, or toss some plastic imitations they all will work. It's ideal if you have a nice chop out of the West to blow you parallel with the shoreline that way you cover more shallow water. Sometimes 15-20 ft. is the hot range you just don't know. Those Smallies will rock your rods out in the lake and there is always a few surprise fish too. Sheepheads , Perch , Walleye , even Channel Cats you just don't know. Beware the Goby's can become a pain especially with bait. Remember your resent yearly dated flares on Erie. One nice thing about Erie snags are almost non existent !  Almost !    

2015/10/01 12:59:07
BeenThereDoneThat.
Awwwwwwwwww geez Captain, I didn't need to hear stuff like that.  For crying out loud it's 'tuff-e-nuff' seeing threads about the catches on the big water and keepin' from heading 'North to Erie'! (sounds like a good theme for a movie or, maybe a song)

He Hee..... keep this under your hat, I just bought  some new gear at the advice of marco, who is giving me some excellent advice about 'tricks of trolling'.  Also, speaking with contractors regarding an addition to my 'man cave' which will have slightly bigger (3) bays with one of the doors a tad bigger(10').  The better half  is aware of the addition, just not the bigger bays and the one door.  I will be practicing; using the new gear, and techniques  (haven't tried the knot yet) recommended by marco, on Pymie, hoping the wife will catch some nice fish so all will be well, regarding the new gear (or any future purchases(just hope I tie that knot correctly)).  So,  already having the appropriate gear and now a place to store it, there should not be any excuses for getting a bigger boat!

Of course, should certain information be revealed, I shall deny, deny, deny any ideas about the garage or boat.  As for the new gear (or unreliable knot)..............  I'm blaming marco!!!

On a more serious note, thank you for taking the time to post the information Captain, I am taking your recommendations, along with that of others and, thinking about Erie next spring.  I will be taking a day or two in the near future, and visit the launch sights mentioned, so I may become familiar with the area.  Nothing irritates me more than following sum idgit towing a boat and not knowing where he's going (or doing).  After 'sailing the concrete oceans and asphalt seas', so many years, I've had my fill of those "ding dongs".

Til next time;
John

PS.  Does fishing Erie require a guy getting out of bed before 10:00 am?
PSS. No need for any words with those pictures, they tell their own story.
2015/10/01 20:34:25
BeenThereDoneThat.
That's a dang good deal buddy.......  if I don't get my(full) beauty sleep....... I do not play well with others!

But I still look goooood!

Well I can't think a better way to end the day when your not on the water.

Ya gotta love it............

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account