• Northwest PA
  • Beware fishermen & hunters Ticks are active ! (p.2)
2019/05/01 21:16:50
About treating dogs - I am a HUGE fan of the Seresto collar.  Been using one on my two labs now for over a year, and ZERO ticks on either of 'em.  Only one hunts, but we are in some of the most tick infested areas of Butler and Armstrong County for pheasants and ducks.  

6 years ago, I had to put down my first lab because of Lyme disease.  I was using Advantix on him b/c it was a little cheaper.  Vet told me back then that it was NOT waterproof.  May have changed by now.  

On the Seresto collar, they are good for 8 months if they're dry.  6 months if your dog's a water dog like mine.  Can usually find 'em with a rebate or on sale at Agway or Tractor Supply for around $55.  

Pulled one outta my gut last week.  I hate those things!  
2019/05/01 22:20:55
BeenThereDoneThat.

CAN'T WE TALK 'BOUT FISHIN' OR SUMPTHIN'?
2019/05/02 00:04:56
CAPTAIN HOOK
I'm enjoying the Leeks ....cost me 50 bucks for the Lyme disease medicine another 80 for the emergency visit ...hope that's all !  I'm to the point I like the leaves almost as much ....I make a pesto spread ....leaves ,sunflower seeds , olive oil , mayo or cream cheese.

Ever hear of green eggs and ham !....lol
2019/05/02 08:47:03
ICE NUT
Get bravecto for your dog it lasts for 3 months and its waterproof. My lab swims a lot.and the bravecto works well for her.As for humans I spray myself good and still we get ticks  its to the point we wont take her in woods or trails any longer cause of them.
2019/05/02 09:18:43
bigfoot
EMitch
Like BT said, Frontline + or Advantix. Yeah, ya gotta do it every 30 days, but there simply is no reason for a dog (or cat) to have fleas and/or ticks. Not treating them nowdays is like cruelty to animals.

Agree. I used to use the k9 advantix 11 but switched to nexgard for our two dogs. Seems to work.
2019/05/02 18:30:19
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
That leek pesto sounds frigging amazing captain. I'm gonna have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing 👍
2019/05/02 18:46:00
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
As far as ticks, dogs, and Lyme, I've gotten the vaccine for the dog ever since she was a puppy. Maybe this has been around for a while, but I don't remember ever being told about it when I had my last dog. Hoping it works, because if the dog ever gets Lyme I'll be giving the vet a piece of my mind. If they ever come out with an option for humans I'm in, considering the tick population seems to be on the rise
2019/05/02 19:27:13
BeenThereDoneThat.
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
That leek pesto sounds frigging amazing captain. I'm gonna have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing 👍

Darn tootin it did but ya noticed Capt "did not" offer to share the finished product? See how he is? lol
2019/05/02 21:30:08
CAPTAIN HOOK
I'd share but it's almost gone .....somebody been using it up ......lol

I froze some leaves going to see how that works ....not sure yet.
Yea Crappie I love the stuff .....wife hates the smell.....lol
I use it on crackers , devil boiled eggs, and almost any thing you like to dip. It's got a strong garlic bite to it but the cream cheese or mayo tunes it down a bit . I just add those extras to taste , sometimes I just eat it straight pesto. Be sure to bush teeth if your talking a lot ....lol
Videos on You Tube show you the basics.   

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account