2019/04/24 11:02:24
skeelol
Heading up to NY this weekend and was thinkin about stopping off in Presque Isle to get after some prespawn smallies. Is it still too early yet? Last I checked lake temps were around mid 40s. 
2019/04/25 07:07:03
bassackwards
No, not too early. It is pretty much on when the water cooperates. Head to the Park side of the main channel (assume from a boat ?), and cast off the ledge. Slower days use tubes along the sand or the good old Slugo, warmer sunny days I like to use lipless cranks and large spinners. I have not heard much on the flats of PIB yet, most of the reports I hear are still a bit deeper and moving. 

I have yet to make it out there this year (chasing lakers), but I have a good network of guys who give me the scoop. I don't start bass fishing until after the spawn and they leave the bay to their summer homes. I am not a fan of casting or dragging into spawning fish spawning grounds or nest (which is a violation of the rules). Right now they aren't bedding quite yet from what I hear. 

I wish summer was here.....they are much more exciting in 30 to 40 FOW off the crust. 
2019/04/25 17:54:50
Big Tuna
I caught several bass on the first day of trout season....in the bay...LM and SM....I wasn't fishing for them....We caught 46 toad perch...12"-15.5"
Water temps where 47 degrees then...in 10' fow.
2019/04/25 18:02:16
skeelol
Cool. Unfortunately no boat I'll be strictly shore w/ hip waders if need be. I was told all the smallies are in Misery bay but I couldn't find em there last summer, only caught one in a bay way before Misery. I got a good amount of LMB around Crystal point but nothing much of size. I think the plan this time is to drive all the way to the entrance channel, it looks like I should have no problem fishing the ledge from shore...granted I should definitely bring a net. Big fan of throwin tubes too.
2019/04/26 08:56:04
bassackwards
I have never done much good directly in Misery Bay. I have always heard about guys getting them there, but not for me. I get quite a few on the flats off of the monument, and the shore by the monument, but seems when I turn the corner into Misery the bite stops. 

Of course, I didn't think I would catch Pellet-heads in Horseshoe bay either! We got a bunch of them several years back. 

I have most luck on the flat that comes off of the channel (park side), and the flat off of the marina. 

2019/04/26 10:58:05
skeelol
Cool, headed there now. Looks like I'm in for some rain and pretty brutal wind...I don't care, there's a cold front rolling thru all weekend so I will be getting in all the fishing I can today. Hopefully be back with some pics for yas.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account