2011/01/14 22:01:34
NOSteelerz
Hey I'm lookin to do some ice fishing this weekend in Erie. Anyone got any advice on where to get bait? Any places to avoid?
2011/01/14 22:27:43
jaymztrain
poor richards is your best bet for minnows. other than that any shop will work. Bac is located just above the peninsula
2011/01/15 19:53:40
B.HINES
I would avoid BAC at all costs, they charge way too much and only give you a small amount of bait. For example, when you buy a dozen of minnows, they only give you 12(most baitshops give you a full scoop). Not a very good deal at all.
2011/01/16 00:10:47
jaymztrain
Bhines....your correct just misinformed. BAC will definitely count your minnows shamelessly. If you pay for a dozen you get a dozen. Poor richards will give you a "scoop".

However, the prices on any other bait, spoon, hook, bobber is comparable. BAC is a great shop for hard to find items. They also have a great bargain bin in the back.  Great for everything EXCEPT minnows.

Don't be so quick to trash a shop over minnow prices, he been there almost 35 years. He's doing something right.
2011/01/16 06:53:33
chauncy
I always get my minnows from bac when i head up to PI and i've never had a problem with their bait count. I pay for what i ask for. If i need more, i pay for more. I dont expect them or any other shop to just give me free bait.
2011/01/16 09:08:08
Hummer82
I know some locals that drive out their way and waste the extra 1-2 bucks in gas to avoid bac.  Doesn't seem logical, but they felt they have been burned too many times.   
2011/01/17 09:59:47
bubbaman
same story with me, I have bought 2 doz at BAC and thats what I got 24 minnows, and when I questioned the low count, I was told that was it , and if I didn't like it go next door ! i/e there is now one else in the imediate area, so you no what I drive 5 miles out of my way to someone else. and BAC can stick his shop where the sun don't shine.I have fished and bought bait for more years than I like to remember, and can't recall anyone actually counting bait. Hannson's would give you a very generous amount,and we always spent alot more on last minnute supplies and snacks. just saying, I'll take the extra time and take my small patronage elsewhere !
2011/01/17 15:54:35
Bigpikeguy
Really should not be so hard on the guys at BAC. They are nice people and are always happy to give you a good report on what going on in the bay as far as fishing goes. I rarely get minnows but when i do i get them at BAC and they last all day for me which is more important to me than getting a few more.
2011/01/17 20:49:24
Split Shot
I have been going to B.A.C at Presque Isle for many years and NEVER had them count each minnow. I always got more than I paid for. I have known them for many years, maybe that helps. Al his son & nephews and his brothers are Great people.
2011/01/18 08:27:23
chrishinesg
i have been fishing the area for a while and have tried several bait shops all around. the people at BAC have never NOT counted my minnows, and when asked about their practice of counting, i was given and attitude, so i stopped going there. a "dozen" minnows is a relative term...im not buying eggs. if you are a friend of the people working at BAC then i am sure you are getting good deals on bait and accurate reports....but for the people not familiar to the workers at BAC, spend the extra buck or two on gas and easily save that much not having to buy extra "dozens" to get you through your fishing day. my favorite shop is presque isle angler located at state & bayfront....minnows cheaper per "dozen" and you get more in your "dozen" with a great attitude from the workers.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account