2011/02/25 12:54:25
Eman89so
+1
2011/02/25 18:14:10
SonofZ3
1. Park Managers DO pay rent, and utilities
2. During spring/summer Park Managers work weekends and often off hours to mirror the busiest times of the season. Not wierd to see them during the week at their house.
3. PMs do not decide their park's funding. Blame the State, not the individual PM. He can't run everything with the bureaus and individual park's budgets being cut every year.
3. The whole point of shutting part of a park down is to eliminate it from needing maintenenace or any other costs. Why would you pay to mow someplace thats closed?
4. I heard that Tuttle was experiencing less than 18% occupancy. Why keep paying to have it open when its obvious that the area is under-utilized for what it costs.

before you start making statements like that, maybe you should educate yourself a bit?
2011/02/25 21:45:53
walleye taker
First off let me start by saying I do agree with some of what you say ( Sonofz3 ).
That he is not solely responsible for the decline of tuttle camp. But it is his job as the park manager to make sure there is enough money to go around and keep all three parks open. Just like the Managers before him did year end and year out.

I have educated myself on this subject and know exactly how the legislative process works form the Governor, to the Treasury,D.C.N.R ,to the local and state representatives.

Bottom line I have seen with my own two eyes form camping there for over 30 years plus, how the park has declined under his Management ( tuttle ) while the others have had improvements done to them year after year. Jamestown , linesville.

I was there when they took the trees from tuttle and traded for gravel and most of it went to Jamestown. How they have black top the roads all through Jamestown, and tuttles goes untouched year after year. Listen I am not going to go through this again and will probably not camp there if they would open it again.

But the people of this state (Campers) have been disenfranchised by this management and the people that run the park. And it makes me mad as Hell!!!.

You can believe what you want and I am sure by the way you defend the Management that you know him. And that's what makes this a great country. Because I Disagree to Disagree with what you say and how the park is run.

The people of PA should call the Governor , the D.C.N.R , there Local and State Representatives, and the Park office everyday and demand they balance the books and reopen the park. So all of Pennsylvanians can once again enjoy tuttle campground before it is to late.

I am a life resident of P.A and enjoy camping and fishing the parks across the state and it is time everyone get involved and steps up and not stand around waiting for someone else to do it for them.

Good luck to all this season and good fishing and maybe someday people will care again enough to make a difference. This is just M.H.O

2011/02/25 21:53:56
SonofZ3
I don't know the manager at that park, but I know the Park System somewhat. I know parks have been hit hard for a few years, with man hours and materials running low. You could be right about mis management, I don't work there. I do know that managers do pay rent for housing though, and are required to live there. Sounds good at first, but I think being required to live at work would get old real fast.

We'll see what happens under the new governor, but I don't know anyone that is hopeful. I think low job loss and not having to close entire parks might be as good as it gets at this point.
2011/02/25 22:03:06
walleye taker
For the sake of the P.A resident's lets hope not. I think the good people of this State will prevail one day. And people will stand behind their words and a handshake still means something. Until then I will always do my part to try and right the wrong.
2011/02/25 22:05:31
SonofZ3
If the governor looks at the economic impact of parks on economies compared to what they take to stay open everything should be good, that hasn't worked in the past though.

Pymatuning will stay open even if other smaller parks close. Its one of the biggest, and probably one of the higher revenue generating, parks.
2011/02/25 22:11:56
walleye taker
I agree,the lake will survive as it has for many years with the ups and downs it has gone through. The closing of tuttle has hurt the local economy in that area. And maybe they will prove me wrong and reopen one day.

But I won't hold my breath!! lol!!
2011/02/25 22:18:06
SonofZ3
Unfortunately, I wouldn't either. Its hard to get something re-opened, get funding back, once its left go.
2011/02/25 22:24:54
walleye taker
I hear you and say that's what this forum is for to get the information out there and get people involved. That's all anyone can do at this point. And hope that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
2011/02/26 08:51:22
ICE NUT
That was a good discussion guys I agree with you Walleye Taker.ou Down my way you should see Raccoon Creek State Park. It was one of the most beautiful state patks around if not the most!!You should see it All the picnic tables are all warped and bowed the cabins are all delapidated.the.unkept grass,a couple port a pottys. Here in pittsburgh area they can find funding for lots of stuff the pens,steelers and pnc park but for joe Q public forget it!!!! What i think is a bigger shame is what the state does for us boaters!!!!!!! Check some of the launch ramps we have!!!!! in pittsburgh we have one. my rant is over.

icenut

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account