2011/02/23 08:35:59
rapala11
wolf, due to the economy, i have told my wife that this year i start keeping fish. tough times, indeed. ya know, it is a shame people cannot develop a taste for carp.....as i know a good place.

i do hope that illegally caught fish are returned, though. i could never understand why anyone would fish like that in a place like that when walleye are to be had all over the lake, close to shore, at this time of year. just takes a pair of waders and some warm clothes.
2011/02/23 08:49:53
wolf
yes just a 3" floating rap,chartreuse,split shot 12"up line at night,tuttle point or any of the areas,it aint no secrete been doing it forever.
2011/02/23 09:04:11
rapala11
shhhhhhhhh
2011/02/23 09:48:01
psu_fish

ORIGINAL: rapala11

wolf, due to the economy, i have told my wife that this year i start keeping fish. tough times, indeed. ya know, it is a shame people cannot develop a taste for carp.....as i know a good place.

i do hope that illegally caught fish are returned, though. i could never understand why anyone would fish like that in a place like that when walleye are to be had all over the lake, close to shore, at this time of year. just takes a pair of waders and some warm clothes.

I think its cause these guys dont own boats so there only real chance for walleyes is to fish (snag) them at the spillway.

And wolf, I dont buy the argument of feeding a family with walleyes from the spillway. People drive from all over, spend money on gas, food, lures, line etc to snag some fish when it could be put towards actually buying groceries. Heck some of them prolly take work off to go snag a limit

2011/02/23 09:48:24
bingsbaits
Do away with the treble hooked lures(cicadas & Vibe Es) during the spawning run and see how many fish those boys can leagally hook "inside" the mouth. Under the chin does not count.
2011/02/23 09:50:03
rapala11
bings, ohio has a lot of waters that are single hook only (jigs) during the spawning runs. it works.
2011/02/23 09:56:56
psu_fish

ORIGINAL: rapala11

bings, ohio has a lot of waters that are single hook only (jigs) during the spawning runs. it works.

is the Maumee River single hook? I can see someone snagging easily with a bucktail jig
2011/02/23 09:58:52
wolf
ok I can see everyones point,been fishing there for 50years and if the businesses were not that creedy you would not have had the crappiethon ,which turned it into a potatoe chip factory for years and the musky massacre of the early 80's,wow going off half cocked ,the only way to change the spillway is to close the season lake wide,and that aint going to happen.
2011/02/23 09:59:34
TastyTrout
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Do away with the treble hooked lures(cicadas & Vibe Es) during the spawning run and see how many fish those boys can leagally hook "inside" the mouth. Under the chin does not count.

No need to necessarily get rid of them bings.  If you fish them correctly then you won't snag the fish.  You are correct that to many people snag fish and keep them.  However, it's not everyone.  Some people are willing to put up with the fight for a chance to legally hook a nice walleye.

The reason people go there is because it's where you stand the best chance at catching a walleye around this time of year.  We all do the same thing every other day of the year when we go out.  We go where we think we stand the best chance of catching something.
2011/02/23 10:00:58
TastyTrout
ORIGINAL: wolf

yes just a 3" floating rap,chartreuse,split shot 12"up line at night,tuttle point or any of the areas,it aint no secrete been doing it forever.

Either everyone read your post or listened to the guy who was talking at the sportsmans show here in Pittsburgh because Gander Mountain was all out of every size and type of Chartreuse rap when I went last night.  I still got a few that I think are going to serve me well this weekend.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account