• Northwest PA
  • catch and release for musky tips and discussion (p.3)
2011/03/31 08:44:02
ShutUpNFish
ill dig up the issue tomorrow... but it was in fly rod and reel last year.

No offense, but that explains alot...Of course they are going to promote barbless/or partly barbless

PlumbBob - good read...its always nice to get perspectives from different views and anglers...I really like the idea of the rolled up netting. Innovative. The only reason I like the Boga is because I believe it does the fish much less harm than a net does. And the only Boga I use is the real deal, because they are full proof and the spinning mechanism will never malfunction like many of the knock-offs do. When that happens with a spinning muskie on the other end, you can either break and arm or break the fishes jaw! Other than that, it has worked flawlessly for me for 10 years now. If we fish together this year, I will bring it along and show you how its done....make a believer outta you yet! I made modifications to mine which make it a safer tool as well....here are some pics and an example of my daughter holding a fish with it.

2011/03/31 09:33:12
eyesandgillz
I don't see any problem with a boga as long as the fish's belly is supported, just like in SUNF's pic. Better than putting a hand under the gill plate.

Awesome pic, by the way.

One of these days I'll catch a musky...
2011/03/31 11:30:27
pawatergremlin
I like a canvas cradle versus a net..the hooks dont get caught and if youve never had a muskie get its head stuck in a net lemme tell ya that can get hairy real quick...also you can modify bogas to be less traumatic to the fish...you just need to weld 1/4" round stock to the teeth on each side....more surface area spreads the grip out. definately cradle the belly though..a heavy fish will will suffer harm from being held up by its lip.....(who wouldnt?)
2011/03/31 11:44:59
Fisherlady2
Fellows,
Just wanted to say thank you for some great info... not just for those who fish for musky regularly, but especially for someone (me) who has caught them 'by accident' while fishing for other species. I like the piece of rolled net idea and others suggested for better control of the fish.
We did find a cradle to carry on the boat for the off chance of running into one of these great fish. Though it will also be used for other species....
thanks again
2011/03/31 12:08:36
musthuntmusky
ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

ill dig up the issue tomorrow... but it was in fly rod and reel last year.

No offense, but that explains alot...Of course they are going to promote barbless/or partly barbless

you do know that the majority of issues in those fly fishing mags revolve around bigger species than musky correct? I just don't want any reader bias affecting your posts, Joey.

stop and look at your avatar before you post sometimes.
2011/03/31 13:28:26
ShutUpNFish
Still waiting for that evidence....Joey.

I really find it hard to believe that a partially barbed, barbless or partially squeezed barb on any hook has more holding power. I'm serious about reading ssome expert's justification on that one, no matter where it comes from!

Now thats about the third poke you made directly toward me....maybe you should get a closer look at my avatar bud. Just sayin'
2011/04/01 11:46:10
musthuntmusky
I put a signature up just for you dude...

I've read your posts on pinning, and have heard from various sources who have fished with you that you snag half the fish you land (steel).

you've basically typed a book, and I'll seriously dig up that issue tonight, pdf it, then put it in my signature.
2011/04/01 11:50:16
musthuntmusky
since I'm not currently at home, I will break it down for you:

it may not HOLD fish better, but it will penetrate easier, and with partial barb left, have enough to hold the fish on.

you're a C and R advocate, yet won't bend on this one, and letting your ego get in the way. It's ok, quite normal as I've seen in your previous posts. I would have to say you might be the smartest angler on this board.
2011/04/01 12:03:25
Esox_Hunter
You do realize guys targeting musky generally fish with 60-100# braid and 7-8' rods as stiff as a telephone pole, right?  Yet somehow a miniscule bump on a 7/0 hook will make a difference in hook sets?

Sorry but I don't believe that a barbed hook would make the slightest difference in hook penetration regarding muskies.    
2011/04/01 12:19:26
ShutUpNFish
evidence suggest that barbs "lightly" pinched, not the full way, actually hold fish better than barbless or full-barbed, but hey, to each his own.

Go back and read your own words...This is your original post sir...The easier penetration factor may certainly make sense...just sayin' I never debated anything concerning penetration, but rather "holding power"...An open barb penetrated, I feel, will hold better. No need to get personal either.

And I appreciate that you analyze the things I write...we ALL need our critics and critiques.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account