• Northwest PA
  • catch and release for musky tips and discussion (p.2)
2011/03/30 11:19:32
MUSKYJUNKY
If you fish a lot by yourself go to walmart and get yourself a mono pod for you camera. I have mine attached to the front of my boat with some u bolts works great. As far as removing barbs I ain't going that extreme that's what bolt cutters are for. I've lost enough fish with barbs not giving the fish anymore advantage than it already has
2011/03/30 12:10:52
outasync
I wouldnt call you selfish its just a personal preference my dad and i share to make it a bit less traumatic to the fish. We started doing so on lake tamarac when the skis all seemed to be in the mid 30 range to try to limit the damage to the fish but i definatley wouldnt fault anyone for not doing so. We only crimp them down on lures like suicks and jakes where you get alot of solid hook ups with the front hooks and the rear ones end up either on top of the fishes head or in the side of its face. I really dont think its cost me more than 2 fish in the last 5 years mainly because if the fish isnt hooked good the fight is enough to tear the hook out
2011/03/30 12:24:04
outasync
Now that i think of it since we started doing so we havnt had the need to use bolt cutters once on a fish but that could be plain luck on our part. I do know my heart skips a beat every time one of the beasts launches itself out of the water tossing its head in every direction lol
2011/03/30 15:01:25
MUSKYJUNKY
I have never had to use bolt cutters and I don't mash down the barbs but I modify a lot of my lures with 3 trebles to 2
2011/03/30 17:21:36
musthuntmusky
ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

I personally will never pinch barbs down on my trebles. Simply because I have invested much time, money and heartaches into the sport. When I finally hook into a muskie, I want to have every variable to ensure I bring the fish to the boat. One of those variables is certainly the barbs on my hooks. Call me selfish or whatever, but I choose not to take it to the extreme of removing barbs, I'm sorry. Another case of "To each his own".

evidence suggest that barbs "lightly" pinched, not the full way, actually hold fish better than barbless or full-barbed, but hey, to each his own.
2011/03/30 17:26:41
ShutUpNFish
I'd like to see that evidence...
2011/03/30 20:08:17
frost
I could see the lightly pushed barbs holding better cause you would have a smaller angle to the main hook and barb causing a better hold factor.  The entry hole would be smaller which would help from the hooks pulling back through also...
2011/03/30 20:32:31
Plum Bob
Any one who has fished muskies for a lengthly period of time, in my case 41 yrs, has their own way of doing things. I fish alone 95% of the time. For your own safety you have to be extremely careful when releasing these fish, especially if fishing alone.

A few things, little tricks, picked up over the years that have helped me in dealing with releasing muskies, of course just my own opinion, way of doing things:

Their teeth are not the danger, free swinging hooks on 2 or 3 hook lures are what you have to watch out for.

When using plugs, 2 hook lures are definitely less hazardous to both you and the fish. 2 hooks are enough on most lures under 7" in length.

A great tool for imobilizing free swinging hooks is a piece of rolled up netting about 18" long, taped on one end, looped on the other. Use this to snag any free swinging hooks, then you can safely deal with the hooks in the fish.

I prefer Mustad or VMC doubles, 4/0 or 3/0 for belly hooks on plugs rather than trebles. These hook very well, all but eliminate hook rash on plug bodies, eliminate the need for split rings, and often improve plug tracking, plus are a bit safer to deal with when handling fish.

Having the right tools is very important. One handed hook cutters, long needle nose pliers, wire cutters. Quality is important, especially with bolt cutter style hook cutters. Single hand cutters are a must. Knipex are the best and easily cut through muskie sized hooks, using just one hand. If the fish is lightly hooked, usually the hook can be removed with just the pliers. If the hook is deeply imbedded, cut it at the bend. Hooks are cheap enough. This is better for the fish than ripping out the hook.

Nets are the safest way to handle fish, especially larger fish, 40" or so on up. Work on the fish with the net in the water and use the largest, best quality net you can find.

I don't net fish unless they are around 18 to 20 lbs or bigger, then do it because it's safer. Pics aren't important to me when out alone. My preferred way to release the smaller fish is to just grab the leader with a gloved hand and twist or cut the hooks out. Don't have to measure every fish, for fish under 45" or so an estimate is close enough.

One can go on and on about this, ways to revive stressed fish such as towing a fish to oxygenate it, using a large aeriated live well to revive it, torpedoing a fish to get it to cooler, deeper water, etc. etc. All this works, but not 100% of the time. It is a fact that if you fish these fish hard, there will be the occasional fish that you can't revive. If it's legal, keep it, sub legal, you have to leave it. Do your best to revive it.

Boga grips? Controversial to say the least. Personally, don't use or want one, but that's just me.

To all that pursue these fish, good luck and good fishing. Treat these fish with respect. They are special. If one dies on you, get over it, not the end of the world. Do your best handling these fish and let it go at that.

2011/03/30 23:45:17
musthuntmusky
ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

I'd like to see that evidence...

ill dig up the issue tomorrow... but it was in fly rod and reel last year.

or you could just google it.  I'm really not kidding. 
2011/03/31 01:21:54
outasync
ive found to better my hooksets on lures like bobby baits and suicks to slightly bend the hooks so that the 2 trebles that contact the body are sticking almost straight out from the side instead of rubbing against the lure

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account