2011/03/23 12:07:21
jolie
Thanks for asking!

the meeting went well. A small group of 4-5 locals bantered (mostly) at the meeting.

we all agreed that the situation is serious and that we are all on the same page. before any private stocking goes though we really need to push for the fish commission to reconsider the main walleye stocking (at least in our section of the river). A small stocking of even adult fish isn't nearly to have the impact of the restoration of an annual 30,000 fry.

The fish commission got wind of the meeting and sent an email explaining that there was to be another assessment in 2011 and stocking prior to that would be a bad idea, basically adding fish to the mix just as the fish commission is considering future plans.

we are impressed that the fish commission was willing to work with us and agree that next steps is to urge the fish commission to resume stocking. The key will be to seek as much publicity as possible and get a big enough group to get the attention of the fish commission.

We're even reaching out to groups like Trout Unlimited; whom we're hoping they will support our group as a conservation/restoration effort similar to many that they've done.

an official letter stating our concerns and a name are being worked out as we speak.

At some point in the future we intend to invite the fish commission to give a presentation about walleye to our group. At THAT meeting membership will be key. Basically the more members we can get to the meeting the more seriously the fish commission will take us..

IN short, Even if you've done little walleye fishing in the waters below the dam, we hope to have your support. Think about it this way; If the fishing public goes to bat for kinzua river walleye anglers, the fish commission then will take anglers seriously; and they will think carefully before they discontinue stocking pressured waterways. we NEED to speak up, cause all they accountants will be telling them to slash stocking programs.

if they hide behind beaucratic indefinite deadlines then yes, we do need to act.

we might also want to urge visitors to reconsider before harvesting trophy individuals once the season resumes. I would consider a trophy walleye as any over 20". the smaller ones taste better anyway.

2011/03/23 13:18:05
bubblegumworm
The PFBC, John Arway included, Is very good with groups, listening to and considering their goals. I belong to the Moraine Musky Assoc and along with coming to our meetings, listening and giving presentations it seems like the PFBC is considering our goal of an increased size limit for lake Arthur. A lot of this has to do with dedication and factual research of the founders Howard Wagner and Brian Boyer but the credit goes beyond them to other members efforts and everyone showing up and expressing their intrest in these goals when the PFBC will be at the meeting.
2011/04/03 12:58:53
chrishinesg
good luck with everything jolie...sound like you are really trying to do something positive

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account