2011/04/05 08:48:04
AndyLee
I have been fishing opening day up north for about 25 years, and never has there been an opening day where the water level was too high to fish.  Could this year be the first?  Right now the discharge on Oil Creek is already over 4000 cfs, and the forecast is calling for thunderstorms every day for the next 10 days leading up to the opener.  If that holds true, I can't see any way the creeks will be fishable come opening day.  Anyone else worried about this? 
2011/04/05 09:08:10
woodnickle
Ya...we sure got hammered yesterday.
I,ll be below a dam but worried they might have the gates too opened to fish.
May have to look around to find a fishable stream or fish the rainbow camp.lol
2011/04/05 09:46:35
psu_fish
We have 11 days, so hopefully the creeks come down. But I usually fish Justus Lake so rain doesnt really affect me.
2011/04/05 11:57:22
mohawksyd

ORIGINAL: AndyLee

Anyone else worried about this? 

Not in the least.
2011/04/05 13:37:40
TastyTrout
My fingers are crossed that everything will be ok.  Both places that I'm considering fishing are stocking it the day before so hopefully the fish will be there.
2011/04/05 16:34:22
ready2fish
I'd certainly be a little concerned, we did get alot of rain, and into ground already soaked. Heck, I had puddles in my yard at 7PM last night and it rained all night. I saw Oil Creek about 30 minutes ago and it's really high. French Creek and the Allegheny were blown again. Upper 2 Mile Run was blown. The top end of Justice Lake looked like a mud bath. If we do get rain every day like is forecasted, conditions may not be too favorable.
2011/04/08 15:01:26
AndyLee
One week away and Oil Creek is still over 4000 with rain in the forecast pretty much every day until Wednesday.  My only hope at this point is for no rain & warm temps on Wednesday-Thursday-Friday, and even then the streams will be barely fishable.   The stocking in May got canceled last year and the stream was only at 2500 at that point.  I'm thinking 2000 is a best case scenario now, which is still WAY too high to fish most of the streams in Venango/Crawford counties.  At least the beers will be biting!
2011/04/08 17:16:09
ready2fish
It rained all day here today (Franklin-Oil City). Oil Creek near the Allegheny is nearly as high as it was 2 weeks ago. It usually takes a day for the creeks to peak and with the rain continuing, that will be tomorrow sometime (best case situation). It's still raining as I type. Did get a look at Upper Two Mile run today and it's also way up and brown but that usually drops fairly quickly once the rain stops.

I'll keep an eye on the local streams and let you know.
2011/04/08 23:50:14
troutslammer
i hope all aproved trout water are raging rivers blonw out for the first 2 weeks of season ! no fishing until the first of may !!!!!!!
2011/04/09 06:56:35
bingsbaits

ORIGINAL: troutslammer

i hope all aproved trout water are raging rivers blonw out for the first 2 weeks of season ! no fishing until the first of may !!!!!!!

+1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account