2011/04/26 08:21:14
lunker49
Hopefully the water will tame down a bit and I can make the trip north when walleye comes in.
2011/05/03 13:30:37
jolie
well the issue with that is the reservoir level.

it is sky high right now-- I think they are holding back due to the flood downstream. if they see a crest before walleye comes in...

for myself, I'm not counting on it.
2011/05/04 07:16:40
lunker49
Yes most reservoirs right now are using a percentage of their flood control capacity in order to try and control downstream and to the west. When those levels begin to subside we will see 18000cfs +
but that discharge right now is pretty decent.
2011/05/04 08:23:38
jolie
yes, actually the fishing is great up there.

made it up there last night and I had a lot of fun. so who cares if its C&R fishing? the walleyes seemed visibly over the spawn and were feeding in heavy current.

caught 6 spunky, feisty walleyes in heavy current in a couple hours, ranging from 12-17".

Call it the opener that wasn't.

It was a pleasant night with lots of action, and not a soul in sight. Now, if opening weekend is a total washout with 20,000+ I can say I had a great "Opening day" of walleye fishing; and not have to wait like, two weeks for Kinzua to get rid of a huge amount of floodwater (and probably even another 1-2 weeks for the water to clear).
2011/05/04 10:38:44
lunker49
well the latest forecast is calling for 3000cfs for saturday however the dam is filling at a rate of almost 2 feet/day. so i can only cross my fingers that it stays at this level
for a few more days- its a drive for me. i envy those who have immediate access.
2011/05/04 13:46:02
jolie
well, the situation is big enough you guys should be in the know. As lunker hinted at, there are indeed holding water back at the zoo to help the folks in the lower Ohio. a really interesting article about that is attached..
Post gazette

but the zoo is screaming high right now.. it is 1339 (12foot above summer pool and increasing rapidly). They rumor is that a short 2' away from the bottom of the steel gates (for those of you that have been to the dam should know how far up the "last Hope" steel gates really are).

as the article states the corps is in a very dynamic situation and I think that they cannot hesitate to release water if they need to, just because walleye just came in or its a busy saturday with alot trout anglers.

I plan up Don't think it is wise to wade in the river below until the after they drain the flood waters above. Some people claim there is big alarms or whistles when they start to release major amounts of water, but I have never heard a thing (for all the time I have been there) and I know ppl that were caught unaware by big discharges (bing for example).

if you plan on walleye fishing, i'd keep near high ground and be prepared to cut the trip short.

as I said in my thread at grizzly
"PLEASE be careful fishing this weekend. I don't know whether I'm more worried about the trout anglers OR the walleye anglers. While walleye anglers are going to be "fresh stocked" and potentially clueless... trout anglers have a nasty habit of standing in the middle of the river.

I'll try hard in the coming months to figure out should I catch a corpse, which Kind of angler it is. just don't let it be you"

I'm still a little shocked how high that is, makes me want to drive up to the dam and take some pics of the water at the bottom of those steel gates.
2011/05/04 15:53:35
lunker49
That is high now when i started fishing the race in the early 80's they did use a siren or horn. I do agree they are going to be looking
for the first chance to get rid of water. but this also may be a case where they will hold back until it spills if it has to.
2011/05/05 11:13:24
ubertracker
Water is going up right now.. 7800 today, 13000 tomorrow 17000 the following day...
2011/05/05 11:15:45
lunker49
yeah scratch this trip. i know they have to let the water go.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account