2011/04/19 18:24:40
Dr. Trout
Since I had not caught a fish this year I decided to help stock the local stream and then fish it. I usually do not do that, maybe once last year when the club did the stocking and that was the first time in many years...
I caught and released 15 this morning in two hours of fishing.

oppppppppss phone I'll be back .....

Went back over at 3pm (IN THE RAIN ) for two hours .... I can't remember the last time I fished in the rain.. but I remember why now...only caught 4 and lost 3 before I could touch them.. I don't count them as caught unless I touch them :)

But it was fun and I caught 19 for the 4 hours..

I was TOTALLY surprised at how many guys caught limits and KEPT THEM ALL...
I probably saw 20 guys fishing today and at least 15 of them kept limits and the rest just a few .. I was the ONLY one I saw putting them back .. that surprises me.. and only heard one guy say he did not catch any.. by watching I think he threw nothing but spinners though...

Two of the guys from the club kept theirs but they were taking them back to camp and smoke them... anyone every have fresh stockies smoked ??????

I thought more guys practiced C & R than I saw today.... BUMMER....

BTW.. the bucket I carried down ( of 10 buckets put in plus more at the bridge) was full to the brim and there was 4 Brookies that I know were close to 20 inches.. one of the guys that helped stock caught one that was probably that big... and I had something on this afternoon that was giving me a GREAT fight til it "spit the hook".. oh well there's always another day..

I did see two guys catch a limit each BEFORE the stocking truck even got there....

all in all great day of trout fishing... maybe be back on Thursday...
2011/04/19 20:34:03
streamerfisher1
Why is it such a bummer that people choose to keep put and take fish from a fishery that is just that put and take, if you want to release them release them I choose to keep them and happen to like them its my choice if it bums you out then fish in the fly fishing only sections that are strictly catch and release thar way you can see them released and also i have seen herrons clean out a stocked whole so y not keep them if you want.
2011/04/19 21:26:59
outfortrout
I think it would be nice if the fish at least had a chance. If you're going to fish for them and keep them as soon as they're stocked then it almost feels like you may as well stand right up on the stock truck and fish. Sadly there are people out there that would probably be willing to do that. If you only fish the first weekend or two of the season then you probably don't care but for the rest of us it's always disappointing to see this sort of thing happen. Personally I'm happy to see the high water and miserable conditions. By the time a lot of people quit fishing the fishing should really start heating up.
2011/04/19 23:46:03
Dr. Trout
I agree with outfortrout,

I have nothing against guys keeping fish if they are going to use them ... I was just surpised to see so many doing it right out of the truck... and that's why I said bummer...

out of 20 guys I would have thought at least a couple would have been C&Ring for a later day...

They stocked this same part on Friday and then today was the in-season stocking.. It will get no more fish this year ..... and I guess that's why I was hoping for more C & R today... giving the fish a chance to get smarter and spread out to other sections of the creek..

You/they paid for a license and have the right to keep any and all fish ... I just wish they would have kept half as many and let the others survive for another day or two...
2011/04/20 09:57:30
Flying Fish
Can I ask where you stocked?
2011/04/20 12:11:18
Dr. Trout
We stocked from Richardsville Bridge (route 948) down to the Moore Bridge, next Thursdsay they stock the upper part of North Fork...
2011/04/20 12:39:51
S-10
I haven't done much pellethead fishing for a couple of decades but even back then the C&R guys usually were not the ones who followed the stock truck. The nice thing is the truck followers are the guys who normally only fish a few days a season. They kill all they can when they are easy and then are done for the year. I never ate many of them so can't comment on the taste.
2011/04/20 17:17:20
streamerfisher1
well I dont follow the truck and I do keep a few when I fish sometimes cause I enjoy them on the grill but I do release way more than I keep. I also fish for them through out the summer fly fishing not all the time but several times through out the summer and the fish are there you just have to work for them. sure they will catch a lot of them following the truck but they wont catch them all. I guess maybe I miss understood your post and took it the wrong way sorry about that dr.trout have a good fishing season.
2011/04/20 18:52:27
Dr. Trout
No problem.. as I said I have nothing against anyone keepinbg fish and eating them, I even keep a few for the grill, but I like the big 20 inchers most of the time for that.. I do not like the stockies.. they taste "mushy" once they get pink or orange inside they taste like a different fish completely...

But of course if they keep dumping (trickling) Marcellus waste water in the Clarion River the trout may "glow" when I put them on the grill...
2011/04/26 12:02:37
LakeErieMonster
fished two hrs. at my rock, almost fell in, caught two. One on a waxie and the other took half a crawler I picked before going out

went home, hate the rain, but I counted 67.4 deer on my way home. I'll get the pic up later.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account