2011/04/20 18:36:30
SmMouthSeeker
ORIGINAL: The Ref

I agree with shutup, I have a 9.9 & 75 and would drop the 75 in a heart beat to get to the launch if safty ever became an issue.

You bet. Do what ever you have to. CYA, and always have a back up plan.

2011/04/20 19:52:53
woodnickle
But they had to sign a release of any responsability against the owner I,m sure.

2011/04/20 21:04:31
bluntman
I was at the lake most of the day, no way in hell 5 footers 3 maybe, but when your scared shatless they probably looke like 5s
2011/04/20 21:08:41
rapala11
our local tv stations (youngstown) sometimes have trouble with facts. the way they previewed this story made it sound like the boat ride from hell. had their been no private filming, it would never have even made our news.
2011/04/20 22:07:17
Walleye Rap
mikastorm you are correct. the guy that rented the boat to them said they signed a release.
2011/04/21 07:34:52
fishin coyote
I'd say the renter should never have rented the boat that day,release or not.
In this day and age that release would have been about as useful as tits on a boar hog
Mike
2011/04/21 08:26:51
ShutUpNFish
Not one comment on a license to operate a powered vessel??? WOW! Or some sort of proof of boater's safety course, which are FREE by the way....and I mean EVERYONE who owns and operates a motorized water vessel of any kind on any state waterway. No grandfathering either!! This will solve alot of problems.

There may be lack of grey matter in the skull for some, but when you're out on a lake where you may be up to a mile from the nearest point of safety as a major front moves in (trust me, I've been there); and all you have is a 9.9, or 20 hp. to move a 17' boat 5 to 10 mph....Thats plain stupid IMO...I've been on Pymy catching Eyes on a beautiful day, when a quick microburst type front moved in out of nowhere and lasted about a half hour and beautiful again after.....I saw the storm coming from miles away, but could not outrun it doing 11 mph in my 14' Alumacraft Lunker 14 equipped with a hefty 9.9 Seahorse!!...UGH!! The waves kicked up to about 4 footers and lightning hitting the water around us and winds up to 20/25+ mph possibly more...I've also seen boats sink out there waiting to load in inclement weather because the boats were underpowered...DUMB!...Its just NOT happening anymore for me...LAW or NO LAW, I'm using my quickest means to the nearest point of safety!!
2011/04/21 08:44:20
ICE NUT
My 17 foot Lund has a 9.8 and a 90 hp motor. the 9.8 at top speed is 5.6 mph!!!!!!! my trolling motor will get the boat to 5.5. even with a 20 probably be 7.5mph. Believe me when its rough or going to storm i will be running the big boy!!!!
As for tests and licenses and all it wouldnt matter we all take driver tests motorcycle tests and the like watch the news lately were six crashes here in pitts area in last 2 days all were stupid people doing stupid stuff and they all took tests!!!!!!!!!!!!What happened at pyma wouldn matter no matter how many tests those morons took!!!!!!!!!! IMHO

icenut(Bill)
2011/04/24 10:39:47
Pymybass
I love it, you guys are the best!  When I’m having a bad day, which unfortunately is more often than not it seems, I just log on to FE and watch the Pymy banter.  9.9hp is just fine, 20hp for everyone, Bigger motors and wake zones, bigger fingerling stockings, increase the walleye slot size, decreased daily creel limits, close the Spillway in spring, no more bread for the Carp, too many Amish (who consequently keep too many fish), too many Musky’s being kept, don’t keep any – hang all of them on the wall, causeway closed for too long – its PENDOT’s fault no its OHDOT – the wings at the Spillway aren’t as good as they used to be…but the Pizza has gotten better , too much **** rain.
Let’s all agree to disagree and remember that we are afforded that privilege (freedom of opinion, and the ability to express that opinion openly) by no other means than being citizens of this great Nation. Thanks to all the brave men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces on this Easter Sunday for protecting our right to freely debate what are truly trivial topics of discussion.
And with that, might I just suggest that the hp limit be reduced back to 9.9hp…we are on the brink of a fuel (supply) shortage.  Thank you Mr. President!
2011/04/24 12:15:29
jspencer951
Pymybass for president!!!!

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account