2011/04/20 07:34:18
fishin coyote
I'd also say that it is Not a rental. The rentals at pymy all have hard tops and would have ID#'s on the side.
Now as far as the people on board. Well you can't teach stupid. The adults should be arrested for child endangerment.
Mike
2011/04/20 07:49:59
ShutUpNFish
What is stupid is a 20 hp limit on a lake that size IMO. I realize that their engine failed, but I've been in storms on Pyma before when all I had was a 9.9 to get in. My current boat has a 9.9 and a 90 hp...if this ever happens again on that, or any lake, no restrictive law is going to prevent me from dropping the big boy to get off the lake. I'll pay a fine to save my life. Its not that hard to have wake zones and specified channels for faster moving traffic.

Also, another example why every person who operates a boat, like a car, should pass some sort test and possess a license to operate. Especially when it can potantially put people's lives in danger. These folks didn't even know enough to put their life vests on or even anchor up in this situation. Who knows if the pontoon even had an anchor. Unbelievable IMO.
2011/04/20 07:53:57
rapala11
when i said rentals, i thought i was on the floor of congress and could make up any fact for emphasis.....

the first i heard about it was that they rented the boat. as mike says, though, all the rentals up there have hard tops. my bad.

i have been on that lake far too many times when they were dragging for drowning victims. those folks should never have been out there, given the forecast for the day.
2011/04/20 08:48:23
TastyTrout
Shut...at least they are making progress though.  Back when 9.9's were the only thing you could run it was just awful.  Especially when we have an old DEEP v that is really heavy.  The boat basically drifted across the lake when using the 9.9.  Increasing it to 20 hp is a step in the right direction.
2011/04/20 09:31:48
rapala11
until the sailboat crowd moves to another lake, don't look for the horsepower limit to be raised again in the next 50 years. the move to raise the hp started in the early 80s.
2011/04/20 10:33:57
jholl68
im glad the horsepower limit is the way it is. i wouldnt want it any other way.
2011/04/20 12:50:57
gonefishin
Correct, and the HP of the motor should not be the fast track to safety.  The gray matter inside the skull should be the #1 path to common sense / safety especially with all the instant information techno-gadgets we have available to us.  Sadly, functional gray matter remains lacking in too many people.  
2011/04/20 14:40:49
psu_fish
It should be 25 instead of 20, and I would argue 50 should be the Max
2011/04/20 15:22:03
The Ref
I agree with shutup, I have a 9.9 & 75 and would drop the 75 in a heart beat to get to the launch if safty ever became an issue.
2011/04/20 15:37:57
rapala11

ORIGINAL: gonefishin

Correct, and the HP of the motor should not be the fast track to safety.  The gray matter inside the skull should be the #1 path to common sense / safety especially with all the instant information techno-gadgets we have available to us.  Sadly, functional gray matter remains lacking in too many people.  

+

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account