2011/05/10 18:40:30
Dr. Trout
I went for a ride this afternoon over to the Clarion River, saw about 15 deer and was happy to see the river is starting to come down... nice color but still above average flow
2011/05/10 20:28:58
SCampbells88
Were there any hatches coming off?  If so, could you tell me what they were?  I'm going to be in the area this wekeend.  Thanks
2011/05/10 23:00:00
DaGman
I'll be up that way next week camping. Looking forward to hitting the clarion "or" even toms run. Any hints/tips??? If i end up fishing the clarion, it would probably be either from a canoe or "if" i do fish from shore it'd probably be right there where toms run empties into the clarion where the submerged stone wall is by the canoe rentals.
2011/05/11 10:13:08
Archer131
Man havent fished the Clarion since I was 14 or 15 when my grandfather had a camp up there. boy those were the days!!!
2011/05/11 10:46:41
Dr. Trout
Did not notice any hatches.. I'm not a fly fisherman, so really do not pay attention to that and definitely would not know what the "bugs" were if there was a hatch ...... sorry...
2011/05/11 11:27:06
SCampbells88
that's ok.  I just thought with you being the doctor of trout (not being a jerk), that you might know what a caddis is.
2011/05/11 14:44:24
Dr. Trout
Scampbell88...

Years ago when I tried fly fishing I could NEVER break the habit of not keeping a "stiff" wrist while casting.. I tired and tried and finally just gave up the idea of fly fishing.. I think too many years of baseball and fast pitch softball caused the "breaking" of the wrist.. I do it even with a spinning rod

I realize also that to be really successful in fly fishing you need to be able to identify the hatch... once a hatch is present and the fish are biting, throwing anything but what is hatching or a close second is not productive... So had I been able to master casting I would have spent the time neccasry to learn the "bugs"...

I still throw some muddlers and wollies on a casting bubble very now and then though..

BTW... I got some steelie type flies from a member here and used them one day on the spinning rod and caught a trout or two on them,  I tied them on with two very small split shots and drifted them in the current and THEY WORKED !!!! !!!
2011/05/11 20:37:30
Dr. Trout
I don't remember what it is called, but this is the "fly" that caught a couple Brook Trout back in April..

2011/05/11 21:21:48
SCampbells88
doctor,

I'm gonna give you the news.  You can cast a fly rod and flick your wrist.  It's all in line transference.  The old timers will tell you keep a stiff arm and cast over your head, while a lot of younger casters have developed a very whippy, tight looped side arm cast.

secondly, no, you do not to identify hatches unless you're fishing to some educated fish.  If caddis are hatching, match the size, get a good drift, and you'll catch fish.

if you put two hours in each day and treat it like the passion of spotting all those deer, you might pick on a new hobby old timer ;)

that fly is junk... crystal meth/spawn, whatever.. junk.  It will catch fish though, but a fly dude fishing eggs is like eating steak at red lobster. 

2011/05/11 22:17:04
Dr. Trout
whatever -- guess I should have just ignored your post.... I thought you were being serious not trolling ....

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account