• Northwest PA
  • Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above)
2011/05/15 11:21:01
DaGman
Hey guys, will be up in cook forest later in the week & "was" looking forward to fishing the clarion (via canoe "probably") but see the good 'ole weekly forecast has our number 1 nemesis (RAIN/Scattered showers) mentioned every single day. So with that said, the clarion will probably be blown out by the time i get up there later this week, so last time i was up there 2 yrs ago we scouted a lil of toms run, from the side of the road where the park rangers office is about maybe a half-mile up to also across the road on the other side where the big pavilion is with the big parking lot. Most likely if the weather holds to it's predicted pattern, it's lookin like i'd probably be better off hittin toms run & workin some of the holes, although if conditions are permissable may also try either still canoe-fishing or even bank fishing? Most likely i'll just be using worms, salmon eggs, power bait & "maybe" a few small spinners. Just read in the sunday outdoors section that it's going to be stocked towards the end of the week too. Any hints/tips???
2011/05/16 12:32:57
doubletaper
i was in cooksburg and around sunday afternoon. toms run, maple creek and even clear creek was totaly unfishable. chocolate, fast and flooded.
not sure how long it will take to drop and clear up being rain is still in the forcast.

2011/05/16 16:11:02
DaGman
I take it then so was the clarion as well? Not "any" holes or pockets fishable, not even around obstructions/current breaks???
2011/05/16 16:33:34
doubletaper
no,no,no. the water was on land. between trees ect. if no more heavy downpours,  Toms Run may still be a little high but should clear up quickly as with clear creek.
the clarion was muddy high also. it didn't rain much today.

2011/05/16 17:29:38
Dr. Trout
Forget the river.. ... was there today... see my notes in the May 16th fishing thread.....
2011/05/16 22:48:18
outfortrout
Before you go you can check out this graph. It'll give you an idea of what you're getting into.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv?03029500
2011/05/16 22:57:15
Dr. Trout
outfor trout..

good point .. that's a good link to have in favorites for anyone interested in the Clarion...

As I have posted on my board the river has been high all spring.. the graph on that link shows last Thursday and Friday being the lowest in awhile and I was there on Thursday and caught fish even in that 3-5pm dead time.. too bad I had to work Friday it was even lower...
then the rains came AGAIN !!!
2011/05/16 23:42:19
SCampbells88
stop crying... the rain is good. we are being blessed with a year like that of 2 seasons ago. Trout will fish into late June at the least. I'm stoked. You'll just have to buy some berkely rubber nymphs instead of those crawlers since the trout won't want that smelly goo.

you wanna buy my canon rebel xt doc? You'll be publishing pics in no time. seriously.. it's for sale. I know you got a few hundred laying around.
2011/05/17 09:03:53
DaGman

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Forget the river.. ... was there today... see my notes in the May 16th fishing thread.....

I was "kinda figuring this" but thought MAYBE it would be high but NOT THAT HIGH to still be able to fish some pockets or eddies around the boulders/wood, etc, etc. Oh well, it definately looks like "if" i do go out even for an hour or two (due to the rain as usual) it looks as if toms run will be it. Any place up there close sell live minnows? Last time i was up there i couldn't find anything but crawlers.
2011/05/17 10:02:47
Dr. Trout
I'm pretty sure that they sell minnows at "The Farmers Inn" near Sigel on route 949...

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account