2011/05/16 15:55:47
wade alexander
my uncle said wilhelm used to be loaded with pike, never hear anyone talk bout them just wondering if anyone gets many anymore? he said they used to catch a dozen 23 inchers and the limit was 24 :)P he said theyd always be just short of keepers so there should be some big girls in there now ... was 20 yrs ago tho he said
2011/05/16 16:02:28
Pork
I've heard the same story...old timers claim you couldn't NOT catch a pile of pike there...
hadn't ever hooked one there until Saturday evening...biggest fish I've ever had on a hook.
Broke off at shore...had to be over 40" if it was a foot. Hit a 1/4 oz pink jig w/ white fuzzy grub.
Did manage 1 keeper 'eye. Saw some nice ones caught.
2011/05/16 16:08:15
wade alexander
nice just dont hear much bout them i geuss seen some caught outta sandy tho
2011/05/16 17:41:47
bigbob
hey wade.............what do you know about sandy lake? i tried it a couple times this past winter through the ice, and caught a half dozen pike, largest being 27 inches. i would like to try it during open water, seems like it is not a lake that is fished to much. thanks in advance
2011/05/16 17:59:14
spoonchucker
When Wilhelm was first built. the PF&BC wanted to make it THE premier Pike lake in Penna., and stocked them heavily. It didn't take off as well as hoped, and the stocking efforts were reduced.
2011/05/16 19:58:43
ready2fish
I fish Wilhelm often and have never caught a pike nor have I ever seen one. Musky on the other hand, have caught and landed some nice ones!
2011/05/16 21:43:48
wade alexander
bob u talking bout stoneboro lake? i dont think theres any big fish in that lake ;)  haha ...ive not dun well there myself but i know there big ones in there
2011/05/17 09:13:06
ICE NUT
It is true about Lake Wilhelm in the early 70's im showing my age!!!! 72 and 73 they stocked it with tons on hammerhandle northerns. My wife and i used to shore fish at the causeway(Bridge) and also at launch 2 in the weed beds.We wouls use shiners by the dozens and catch dozens of 20 to 23 inch pikle and an occasional 24 i/2. It was a blast. It was perhaps the best fishing around for sheer numbers of fish and believe me even a 23 incher when it busts out of the water on a bobber is just plain FUN!!! But as everything else it died down not sure from what perhaps those hammer handles were caught so many times??? or thet just stopped stocking.

Bill (ICENUT)
2011/05/17 12:37:01
ray j
That lake was a blast back then. Normal days were 20 - 30 pike. Some days more. Limiting factor was how many shiners you could afford to buy. After we ran out of live shiners we used the dead ones. Then on to casting rapalas. I miss those days. When they first filled up Shenango D___ it was loaded with pike too, but not like Wilhelm.

Ray J
2011/05/17 12:40:58
wade alexander
hmm maybe theres some old and ugly  pike laying around in the lake ... hard to believe the pike would dwindle away when there are musky living as well, i thought the pike usually took over cuz they spawn first

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account