2010/11/26 20:12:17
woodnickle
Cowboy, are you a member of "North American Journal of Fisheries Management "?
If so, go to Aprils files.
2010/11/26 21:04:26
chauncy
Found the article. Said they had a phenomenon that couldn't be explained one year and that was back in 2001, in one lake in Florida. So i guess you're right. At least on one lake, 10 years ago, some crappies did spawn in October in Florida. This means they must do it on every lake everywhere every year, huh?

ORIGINAL: slab nabbit

Finally found article, Infisherman March 2010. Page 55 ,
named Crappies good news bad news. Scientifically documented. Read up on it.

2010/11/27 06:17:17
slab nabbit
Never said or implied that at all. I found and posted the article info as a direct result of you saying " no they won't". Apparently they do. The article even says they heard rumors about Fall spawning crappies that is why they did the study in the 1st place. If it makes you feel better to think it only happened once in a lake in Florida 10 years ago, then knock yourself out.
ORIGINAL: chauncy

No they wont. They're building a mass of eggs for the spring spawn. Crappies only spawn one time yearly. Read up on them.
ORIGINAL: ddubs3

Crappie will sometimes spawn in the fall if the conditions are right.

2010/11/27 09:54:55
chauncy
Okay, next question. Can anyone find an article about the crappies spawning in the fall, north of the mason-dixon line? That article proves they have below it. Done arguing. Proven wrong. Now looking for as much more info as i can find. Can anyone help?
2010/11/27 20:33:04
jf1
Spawn has to do with the water temp and moon phases in spring. I doubt very highly that those crappie were spawing this late in the year this far north....Could be wrong. I'm a hardcore bassfisherman, not a crappie guy. Fish spawn based upon patterned moon phases in conjunction with warming water temps. Is it possible with the late warm weather some fish were spawning now Maybe, but my magic 8-ball reads very unlikely.
2010/11/29 09:58:38
RhnstnCowboy
Cowboy, are you a member of "North American Journal of Fisheries Management "?
If so, go to Aprils files.

Hey Mika, I used to be a member and I have old bound copies of some articles. What does it say?
2010/11/29 10:24:45
RhnstnCowboy
Okay, next question. Can anyone find an article about the crappies spawning in the fall, north of the mason-dixon line? That article proves they have below it. Done arguing. Proven wrong. Now looking for as much more info as i can find. Can anyone help?

Chauncy,

Thats what I said. It happens down South and is more likely the further south you go. I have no evidence that it happens up here. I doubt that it does.

There are far less seasonal temperature and light differences the closer to the equator you get. There are far greater seasonal temperature and light differences the further from the equator you get. On June 21 in Pittsburgh, PA the length of the day is 15 hours and 3 minutes and on December 21 the length of the day is 9 hours and 16 minutes, a difference of 5 hours and 47 minutes. On June 21 in Miami, FL the length of the day is 13 hours and 45 minutes and on December 21 the length of the day is 10 hours and 32 minutes, a much smaller difference of only 3 hours and 13 minutes. As you go further south, the differences virtually disappear to where near the equator the length of day is nearly 12 hours no matter what time of year. The earth's axis is tilted, so its not exactly on the equator where the day is evenly split, but its somewhere close. Temperature differences are similar. On record, in Pittsburgh, PA the record high is 103 degrees and the record low is -22 degrees, a maximum difference of 125 degrees. On record, in Miami, FL the temperature has never hit 100 degrees and it has never dipped below 30 degrees, a maximum difference of less than 70 degrees.
2010/11/29 19:39:43
chauncy
Very good info. Thank you very much. Was surprized to read that they do, even down south. Maybe one day i'll get down that way and fish. I guess it's on my bucket list.
2011/05/20 18:36:32
chauncy
Bringing this back to the top because there's a debate going on, on the crappie.com website about this very issue and i wanted the guys to be able to read this very good, and civilized, debate and the results thereof. Thanks again to everyone involved. Smitty
2011/05/22 15:01:05
SmMouthSeeker
ORIGINAL: chauncy

Bringing this back to the top because there's a debate going on, on the crappie.com website about this very issue and i wanted the guys to be able to read this very good, and civilized, debate and the results thereof. Thanks again to everyone involved. Smitty
[/quote
Chauncy, We don't know each other, just wanted to tell you I'm happy to see you post on here again. ]

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account