2010/11/17 09:55:20
RhnstnCowboy
I just ran a 4.5 second search for bass or crappie "spawn year round" and got 3,470 hits from various state agencies, fishing message boards, and guide websites about the subject. Call a guide in Florida, I think they'll tell you the same thing. I don't know whether or not it happens up north.
2010/11/17 12:39:38
woodnickle
Paste the link that says crappie spawn in fall too.
I would like to read about it. Thanks,John
2010/11/17 13:46:21
RhnstnCowboy
Paste the link that says crappie spawn in fall too.
I would like to read about it. Thanks,John

Do you have an e-mail address? I have a study from North American Journal of Fisheries Management called "Off-Season Spawning of Black Crappie in a North-Central Florida Lake." I'll see if I can make a jpeg out of it and post it. You are very welcome, RC.
2010/11/17 14:02:10
RhnstnCowboy
I never would have thought this to be a divisive topic. I thought it was common knowledge that as you get further south there is much less variation between the seasons and fish of all species (that I know of) can spawn year round...
2010/11/17 20:42:08
chauncy
In florida lakes, the crappies spawn in feb. The bass in late march. Then the water starts to get in the 80* range and both spawns are done. Doesn't matter if it's a northern or southern crappie. They spawn when the water temps reach a certain point.
ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy

ddubs is correct!!! It is mostly prevelant in the southern states, but it does happen. I will try to find the article that I read...and will post it!!!

I agree. I fished Okeechobee several times and the crappie and largemouth in there spawn all year long. There is no "its April, the bass are spawning now" or "its April, the crappie are spawning now." Groups of fish spawn at different times depending on water temperature and how they are monkeying with the water levels. I've been told by a couple of guides that this happen with crappie and largemouth spawns in lakes all over the South. As for up here, I'm not sure.

2010/11/18 11:57:35
RhnstnCowboy
In florida lakes, the crappies spawn in feb. The bass in late march. Then the water starts to get in the 80* range and both spawns are done. Doesn't matter if it's a northern or southern crappie. They spawn when the water temps reach a certain point.

Thats not even close to true.
2010/11/25 05:56:55
slab nabbit
Finally found article, Infisherman March 2010. Page 55 ,
named Crappies good news bad news. Scientifically documented. Read up on it.
2010/11/25 05:57:42
slab nabbit
2010/11/25 05:57:48
slab nabbit
double post
2010/11/25 08:43:50
woodnickle
Happy Thanksgiving all.
Cowboy , I,ll google that and see if I can locate it .
Thanks, John

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account