2010/11/14 15:55:11
Slabseeker
Just wondering if it is common for the crappie to have eggs in them this time of year? I have caught several the last few weeks that had egg sacs in them.
2010/11/14 16:34:07
ddubs3
Crappie will sometimes spawn in the fall if the conditions are right.
2010/11/14 23:37:34
chauncy
No they wont. They're building a mass of eggs for the spring spawn. Crappies only spawn one time yearly. Read up on them.
ORIGINAL: ddubs3

Crappie will sometimes spawn in the fall if the conditions are right.

2010/11/15 10:48:19
slab nabbit
Read the same article, I believe from infisherman. They can and do spawn in the fall under the Right conditions. They had data from the midwest too I believe. I am glad I read up on it.
2010/11/16 15:36:12
chauncy
Read thousands of articles on them and never once have i read about them spawning in the fall. I have a pretty big collection of IF magazines. Which one did i miss it in? I'd really like to know as much as i can find out about these fish. This old dog ain't afraid to learn some new stuff. It can only make life better.
2010/11/16 19:27:22
Slabseeker
Earlier today I read an article which said that crappie carrying eggs in the fall are the ones that didn't get to spawn in the spring. Don't know if it's true or not.
2010/11/16 20:22:54
peacymike
them egges are good eating .[ dream on]
2010/11/17 07:08:49
woodnickle
 It is not unusual to find immature eggs in female crappie or other fish at this time of the year. Although greatly diminished in size outside of the spawning season, female fish retain their egg sacs (ovaries) that contain eggs that will mature in the future. In crappie, those eggs will be held until spawning in late March or April of next year. The mature eggs will be located near the center of the ovary, with progressively less-mature eggs toward the outside. The spawning will begin with the right combination of day length, temperature and water level in the lake.
2010/11/17 07:44:21
RhnstnCowboy
ddubs is correct!!! It is mostly prevelant in the southern states, but it does happen. I will try to find the article that I read...and will post it!!!

I agree. I fished Okeechobee several times and the crappie and largemouth in there spawn all year long. There is no "its April, the bass are spawning now" or "its April, the crappie are spawning now." Groups of fish spawn at different times depending on water temperature and how they are monkeying with the water levels. I've been told by a couple of guides that this happen with crappie and largemouth spawns in lakes all over the South. As for up here, I'm not sure.
2010/11/17 08:20:35
woodnickle
As hard as I searched, I,m with chauncy, I find nothing that states that.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account