• Northwest PA
  • Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th (p.5)
2011/05/26 09:23:09
ShutUpNFish

ORIGINAL: TastyTrout

ORIGINAL: Billy35Litt

Pymie is not intended to be a trophy lake. 

Who told you that? I was actually doing some research and natural walleye reproduction once occured in Pymatuning and was doing just fine. The reason it hasn't worked it because over time the sediment has built up and "covered" the necessary spawning areas.

I'm not sure where you guys got the word "trophy" lake from my posts or any of the other ones but I said I'd like to see the minimum size increased to 17". With an increase in the quality of spawning areas (even artificial) the lake could sustain a population of bigger fish. Bigger fish produce more eggs correct? (for that I didn't do research I'm just going out on a limb).

Keep talkin' because your limb is about to break...
2011/05/26 09:55:33
TastyTrout
Jholl....you're somewhat correct.  The reason they haven't decided to increase the quality of the bottom is because it's actually less costly to just stock them.  However, it seemed they were only saying it is cheaper to stock than completely getting all of the muck out of the bottom.  Didn't mention anything about other options of increasing spawning habitat.

Shut...I'm kind of disappointed in that response.  You usually have some clever stuff to say...or you drag it out into a novel so people believe you know what you're talking about.  You mentioned in an earlier post that you didn't need biological data to support your admission that the lake can't support a population of bigger walleye....Maybe you should have taken a look to see what you would have found.

The thing you were correct about is that natural production is low now and it's essentially a put and take fishery.  However, the thread took the turn to the FUTURE of Pymatuning.  That is what my suggestion was for.
2011/05/26 10:40:50
bingsbaits
You want trophy eyes in Pymy?

Get rid of all the straw hats....
2011/05/26 10:55:38
TastyTrout
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

You want trophy eyes in Pymy?

Get rid of all the straw hats....

haha...I heard about the circus of them out there last weekend bings.
2011/05/26 11:24:28
Flying Fish
Witnessed myself last weekend....what a circus!  I wonder how many sublegal eyes were kept?  It's a shame.
2011/05/26 21:07:02
spg
Not only at Pymie at Shenango last weekend also.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account