• Northwest PA
  • Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th (p.4)
2011/05/18 13:29:35
outasync
im deffinatly happy. got a freezer full of crappie fillets and hopefully this saturday ill be able to add some eyes to it!
2011/05/18 13:31:24
chugbug
Whether you fish for bass, crappie, or walleye you should be happy at Pymy this year.
2011/05/18 14:12:14
frost
I am happy to be catching fish again...I'm just simply stating the fact that the lake could easily produce trophy fish.  I enjoy catching 50 fish a day and only 2 or 3 being keepers, but I just want people to understand this lake is a trophy producer if able.  The pressure is the big downfall of the lake.  When a fish hits 15" its kept.  The reason the big fish have been caught the last few years is the pressure has been down.  When people needed to work to catch one or 2 fish they stopped coming.  Then with the alewives and perch the walleye have grown in size very quickly...Now that you can drown a worm and catch 40+ fish in a day, people are going to start fishing the lake again, so the size will drop off again...
2011/05/18 14:33:53
D-MAC
I wish whatever the fish commision is doing on PYMY they would do at other lakes (Edinboro, LeBeouf, Eaton) smaller fisheries to make them as productive as PYMY, i've started traveling from Erie to ice fish PYMY it's an unbelievable fishery.Everyone i've met there are friendly the bait stores always have what you need...trouble is the travel, i can't figure why people south of Meadville come up here to fish except if they want to catch steelhead. Granted our lake for perch and walleye is outstanding as long as you have the equipment to get to them....
2011/05/18 15:24:26
wade alexander
u mean stocking the crap outta it lol
2011/05/19 09:20:51
ShutUpNFish
i can't figure why people south of Meadville come up here to fish except if they want to catch steelhead. Granted our lake for perch and walleye is outstanding as long as you have the equipment to get to them....

Well you contradicted yourself there...you don't understand why people south of Meadville travel all the way to Erie to fish, but in the same sentence, you named 3 perfectly good reasons why....And those 3 reasons will keep any (decent)angler busy ALL year long catching fish. For those 3 species you mentioned - you're talking, quite possibly, the BEST fishing in the world! AND you didn't even mention the smallmouth bass.

2011/05/19 09:35:47
Skip16503

ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

i can't figure why people south of Meadville come up here to fish except if they want to catch steelhead. Granted our lake for perch and walleye is outstanding as long as you have the equipment to get to them....

Well you contradicted yourself there...you don't understand why people south of Meadville travel all the way to Erie to fish, but in the same sentence, you named 3 perfectly good reasons why....And those 3 reasons will keep any (decent)angler busy ALL year long catching fish. For those 3 species you mentioned - you're talking, quite possibly, the BEST fishing in the world! AND you didn't even mention the smallmouth bass.

There's Smallmouth in Lake Erie?
2011/05/25 21:49:23
Billy35Litt
Pymie is not intended to be a trophy lake.  It's a put and take lake.  Think about it, it's already been proven that the 20+ inch walleye (the past 10 years) don't attract as many anglers as the 15+ inch walleyes do.

The people who run that lake are doing it for one thing, to bring the anglers in droves.

Mark this post.  Since PA and Ohio are working together now, something of which they haven't done in the past, you watch a possible tag to fish Pymatuning.  Especially if they keep throwing the same amount of walleye in that lake.

I would not be surprised!!!

2011/05/25 22:11:01
TastyTrout

ORIGINAL: Billy35Litt

Pymie is not intended to be a trophy lake. 

Who told you that? I was actually doing some research and natural walleye reproduction once occured in Pymatuning and was doing just fine. The reason it hasn't worked it because over time the sediment has built up and "covered" the necessary spawning areas.

I'm not sure where you guys got the word "trophy" lake from my posts or any of the other ones but I said I'd like to see the minimum size increased to 17". With an increase in the quality of spawning areas (even artificial) the lake could sustain a population of bigger fish. Bigger fish produce more eggs correct? (for that I didn't do research I'm just going out on a limb).
2011/05/26 06:20:27
jholl68

ORIGINAL: TastyTrout

ORIGINAL: Billy35Litt

Pymie is not intended to be a trophy lake. 

Who told you that? I was actually doing some research and natural walleye reproduction once occured in Pymatuning and was doing just fine. The reason it hasn't worked it because over time the sediment has built up and "covered" the necessary spawning areas.

I'm not sure where you guys got the word "trophy" lake from my posts or any of the other ones but I said I'd like to see the minimum size increased to 17". With an increase in the quality of spawning areas (even artificial) the lake could sustain a population of bigger fish. Bigger fish produce more eggs correct? (for that I didn't do research I'm just going out on a limb).

i understand what your saying. i just dont think it'll ever happen. and im no biologist but im sure there are reasons they do not go this route cause it'll seem that it'll be cheaper doing it that way rather than spending the time and money into stocking fingerlings and what ever goes on with that.

off topic, but my buddy who is a fish commission officer and i was bull crapping the other day and said him and another officer stopped 26 boats and ticketed them for keeping undersized fish (walleye)

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account