2011/05/14 22:12:19
Billy35Litt
I've been fishing Pymatuning for Walleye since the mid 80's and I can honestly say that the day we had today was top 3 as far as how many Walleye were caught, as far as I can remember.

There were 5 of us wading.  We lost count, but I am not exaggerating when I say we caught over 80 Walleyes.

We started fishing around 8AM.  We took a break around 12 and continued fishing until 4PM.  Most of the fish were caught between 8-12.

Each of us caught between 15-20 Walleye.  We only had 11 keepers between the 5 of us.  Most of our fish were in the 14 inch range.  Keep doing it PA & Ohio!!!!

Unbelievable day!!!

2011/05/14 23:20:32
wade alexander
fish in a barrel! haha that sounds like a blast i heard one of the guys that was musky fishing had a 30 incher on im sure he wasnt happy but i wouldnt have minded :)
2011/05/15 07:40:46
OAKHILL 1
saw you guys wading in the afternoon we were crappie fishing glad to hear you had a good time. walleye thing sure seems better hope it lasts fish warden checked us said they had 6 people with under sized fish by lunch time.are those walleye in close to shore during the day spawning yet or what?
2011/05/15 08:56:52
Billy35Litt
The spawn is over.  They were feeding which makes it even more fun because they hit the lures with a lot harder.  Overcast, choppy water, southern winds always seems to get the walleyes moving around.

The one thing that surprised me was the bass.  We didn't catch many and only small ones.  Thought for sure they would hit more.

With the amount of boats out there, I'm sure the warden was watching close.  I wondered how many guys they would nail.  We saw a few boats keeping what looked like smaller ones from a distance.
2011/05/15 11:26:22
ATTE1
Same goes for me, best day up there in a long time. 40 fish, 7 keepers, most fish about 14" too. Not wading though, drifting north stumps with jigs. Boats everywhere do the same thing. Looked like everyone catching. Some kept smaller ones and paid for in at Manning launch..checking fish of all boats docking...plenty of citations while I was unloading. Officer said he gave out lots for 14 to 14 1/2 fish, which is what we mostly caught. Too bad people can't measure.
2011/05/15 13:51:44
streamerfisher1
people can measure they just want to keep fish to eat and they r greedy.
2011/05/15 16:08:15
thunderpole
glad they are getting busted thats just stupid throw them back let em grow they are are twenty inchers for next year if you want fish sticks that bad buy them at the store it cheaper
2011/05/16 10:36:45
TastyTrout
ORIGINAL: thunderpole

glad they are getting busted thats just stupid throw them back let em grow they are are twenty inchers for next year if you want fish sticks that bad buy them at the store it cheaper

for sure....I'd love to see the minimum size increased to 17".
2011/05/16 10:50:31
ShutUpNFish
Why? Then you'd be catching nothing but 16.5" inchers since the majority would never reach 17" due to the heavy pressure....What you need is a slot limit, right?...but there is a LOW percentage of natural reproduction in Pymy. and the slot wouldn't work anyhow...thats exactly why it is a "PUT-N-TAKE" fishery like 90% of the other "muck bottom" PA lakes. I don't know when these C&R fanatics will ever get this through their thick skulls. All we need is the continued management and stockings and Pymy will be fine. You want to catch trophy walleye? Go to Erie or the Bay of Quinte during the migration.
2011/05/16 11:17:25
TastyTrout
By no means am I a catch and release guy.  If I catch it and it's legal it generally goes in the basket.  I'm not looking to catch a trophy but I do think it would be possible for fish to reach that size in good numbers.  I'm not sure what data you've found to support you evidence that they wouldn't grow to that size.  Certainly if you've found some please share.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account