2011/06/10 13:51:55
Fish5000
Specific answers to questions : 1)Yes , you can park on the Causeway , but only on the PA side . Ohio will fine you , but they have a legal pull off area near the end of the Ohio side . 2) In addition to walleye, perch and channels , you can expect crappie , bluegill , brown and yellow bullheads [catfish] and the occassional musky . Basically anything that's in the lake can be caught at the Causeway . 3) Crawlers and leeches are great on a floating jighead rig , but don't forget fatheads, chubs and suckers . Naturally you'll need to adjust the size of your jig . Bigger bait , bigger floating jig .  Personally I don't use shiners as they are delicate and die quickly when hooked anywhere . They don't stand up well to being cast either . That's been my experience . I prefer soft bodied floating jigs , specifically Phelps Floaters . I get mine from Cabelas as I can purchase them in quantity , but they're probably available at BASS Pro . If at Pyme , Richters' has them or Poffs'  , but I don't think either one has Phelps . They both work equally well . On the other hand , you can get custom colors  at Richters' or Poffs' not available at Cabelas' or BASS Pro . It does make a difference how you hook a minnow though . Hook them passing through the top of the minnows' lip down through the bottom lip . This will keep the minnow swimming in a natural position , but if you hook from the bottom lip up and exiting through the top lip , it will cause the minnow to attempt to right itself  , thereby giving it more action . Good Luck !
2011/06/10 15:19:44
RIZ
i like to use a slip bobber rig off the causeway.  the water can be 18ft deep in some areas.  fishing the windy side is more a pain in the arse but the fishing is usually better.  you can also fish the spillway and catch carp, big ones too.  it's also fun for the kids to feed them bread on the consevation side.
2011/06/10 15:27:48
Pachuckles
Your a brave man taking both a 6 year and 3 year old fishing. I'll tip my hat to you any day. Hope you've got life vests for both of them. Please report back and tell us how you made out fishing.
2011/06/10 15:40:03
fihintin
Well took the kids fishing decided on renting aa pontoon instead of the causeway. Well did fairly well, in three hours of sporadic fishing and kid wrangling we caught a small eye, channel cat , smallmouth and some gills

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account