2011/06/12 01:04:54
rooster
the lake has a wing dam
2011/06/12 12:16:45
woodnickle
I put the yak in yesterday and went from the mouth upstream to about a 1/4 mile of where the gas line crosses the river.
The only thing that I saw was where the old Erie Canal laid stone along the river bank to keep erosion under control. So
sir if you would kindly point me where this wing dam is located.  Thanks John
2011/06/13 08:30:35
hurricanewg
Last Friday afternoon I was at RC's when a couple stopped in for ice to cool down a muskie they had caught. A scary big creature it was! 52+ inches in length, but it was the gird of this toothy fish that really impressed me. Most massive head and body I have ever seen on a Muskie, must have been eating a lot of high protein fish or maybe a fisherman or two????? I'm wanting to hook into one these monsters while fishing from my kayak, now that would be a ride, probably be able to out run these PWC's/jetskis! FYI: location of catch was just east of Golden Run access.
2011/06/14 12:18:05
Shenango
Been up the river many times in my 17 1/2 foot bass boat. You can get past the Rutledge Rd. bridge about 1/2 way to Hamburg. Trim up and go slow you won't have any problems. It is best to stay in the channel but if you get off course it is muddy so you can back out and try a different route. Enjoy the fishing and the scenery, it is a beautiful area this time of year.

On a seperate note I am trying to get info on French Creek above Saegertown. Found where the river is unlimited HP but also heard the entire river was a no wake zone. Does anyone know what the actual laws are?
thanks; Jerry
2011/06/14 13:26:42
grwill82
this erosion control/wing dam?????????????  for giggles lets call it e.c.wd.   just past public access area off bend rd.  this has gotten way off topic. im not here to prove what i do and dont know. i love fishing and getting imput on fishing.  so what do ya say to swapping some fishing info and perhaps learning a thing or two from others. and the matter of e.c.w.d    can be the rocks in the water. the bend has alot of great fishing. eyes crappie bass muskie perch. its a gift to coast thru there and take in the sights.
2011/06/14 15:56:15
tippecanoe
grwill, you wouldn't know a wing dam from a chicken wing. 

Watch what you complain about spg, I would give my left nut to catch a musky.  Nice haul, BTW
2011/06/15 11:29:39
Shenango
John;
I would guess they are talking about the old road bed South of Big Bend near the picnic area. This road bed extends into the river at a right angle and there is even a telephone stub at the end of it. There used to be a bridge there and the original road connected to what is now River Rd. It is probably under water right now but if you don't know it is there you can tear the bottom out of your boat. Take a walk when they draw the Lake down this fall and you can plainly see the remains.

PS: I have taken 2 Muskies of off the end of it in the late Fall. Both were in the 36" plus range.
2011/06/15 12:05:55
woodnickle
Ya...forgot about that. It does get tricky when the water is low. If you stay center going upstream
you should be ok but helps to have another person on bow to watch for ya. I,ve nail some decent sm there. never
have whacked a musky yet in the river. Take that back ...caught one about 7" long near the park in Greenville.lol
Also ..under the bridge is alot of rubble from when they put the bridge in. Another smally spot.
On my yak ride I did manage 8 smallies and 1 lm. All on a popper.

2011/06/19 16:02:23
fiftydollar
I ran into them this week while floating for smallies in my kayak downstream from the lake. The first one pounded a lipless crank bait. I was playing it near my yak, and I would say it was around 30 inches. It came off while I was fumbling for my camera. The smallies were hitting on little Pop-Rs and the next musky hit just as I was pulling the lure out of the water. I really didn't get to see it because it was so fast and it soaked me and my glasses and was gone. All I was left with was six inches of frayed PowerPro at the end of my rod tip--ferocious! The previous day on the Allegheny, I caught a northern that was just a bit smaller than the one I had on Shenango. That one came on a spinner bait.

I think I might carry a dedicated musky rod the next time I float that section of the Shenango.

By the way, I'm glad I found this forum the other day. I live in central Ohio now, but I grew up in the Shenango Valley and still fish back there with an old high school buddy. I pretty much just fish rivers and streams for smallmouth from my kayak.
2011/06/20 08:58:32
woodnickle
Good job Neal . Were you below the dam?
Also...welcome aboard..

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account