2011/06/25 13:06:41
TastyTrout
ORIGINAL: rapala11

which makes me wonder if the lake could sustain a fishable, though stocked, hybrid population or if they would be a threat to the walleye fry and fingerlings being stocked.

In my opinion that's why that guy said that the number of catches are on the decline....so that the population of walleye anglers doesn't get angry.  With the news reports of the talks of them being in there, and then a few "accidentally slipping into the hatchery water, and the accidentally falling over the spillway" things just don't add up.  I know that you may not have caught them but I know 2 people who I was actually fishing with at the time they caught them, they are other numerous reports on here of them being caught (all within the last few years), and all at different sizes......so bottom line I'm finding it hard to believe that a few just "slipped" over the spillway....unless there are even more in the hatchery waters than we even imagine.  There are just to many coicidences going on here.
2011/06/25 13:31:06
bingsbaits
Beleive what you want. He is a no BS sort of fellow and has always been upfront with answering questions,

He happens to be a fisheries biologist and not one that forms his opinions on my cousins brothers uncle said.

He never stated when the last batch of hybrids were raised at the facility, may have been the last couple years and would account for some small ones. Beleive what you want.

I pray they never do stock them, don't need that "Arthur Circus" there too....
2011/06/25 13:51:19
bearfisherman
+1

Tim is one of the best that the PFBC has - he knows his stuff and will tell you what it going on.

2011/06/25 14:00:01
rapala11
bings, i believe it was him that answered a pointed question about alewives in the lake honestly. i couldn't believe it, he was upfront as you can be. he will never make it as a politician .
2011/06/25 18:53:28
bingsbaits
He also answered my question about the walleye snagging at the spillway.
Wasn't really the answer I wanted to hear but it was the right answer..
2011/06/25 21:11:40
CAPTAIN HOOK
Just for a reference this is a photo of a 15 lb. Hybrid Striper I took out of a local Pa. lake. These are awesome fighting fish especially when the get up and over the ten pound mark. This is the largest we have taken to date but have caught many in the double digits on the scale. I beleive there was a 20 lb. plus Striper caught in the 70's in upper Shenango River. I saw the picture years ago at the Hot Spot Bait Shop in Jamestown. For some reason I don't think the Fish Commission keeps records on Hybrid Stripers . Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
2011/06/26 01:50:13
**commander**
ORIGINAL: TastyTrout

ORIGINAL: rapala11

which makes me wonder if the lake could sustain a fishable, though stocked, hybrid population or if they would be a threat to the walleye fry and fingerlings being stocked.

In my opinion that's why that guy said that the number of catches are on the decline....so that the population of walleye anglers doesn't get angry.  With the news reports of the talks of them being in there, and then a few "accidentally slipping into the hatchery water, and the accidentally falling over the spillway" things just don't add up.  I know that you may not have caught them but I know 2 people who I was actually fishing with at the time they caught them, they are other numerous reports on here of them being caught (all within the last few years), and all at different sizes......so bottom line I'm finding it hard to believe that a few just "slipped" over the spillway....unless there are even more in the hatchery waters than we even imagine.  There are just to many coicidences going on here.

he has no need to lie and has always given good info. i grew up on that lake and if you want info hes the man to see...and you would be extremely surprised to see many walleye are caught in the dog days of summer in shallow water. move the snap of your hot 'n tots to the front and hit the north end or wherever the shad hatches are. just sayin'
2011/06/26 08:11:41
ICE NUT
Ive caught a few also of various sizes.I feel like mbings does I dont want to see them in pymatuning,Im just as happy as can be that pyma is coming back!!!!!!! I dont want anything screwing it up ect.Im a crappie,perch and walleye fisherman as far as im concerned hybrids are just a freshwater carp!!!!. No doubt they are there!!! Want hybrids go to authur or shenango!!!just my feelings!

icenut
2011/06/26 13:54:39
spoonchucker
"as far as im concerned hybrids are just a freshwater carp!!!"

As opposed to the saltwater Carp, you usually find in Pa.?
2011/06/26 20:02:08
TastyTrout
I think you guys misread my post somehow. In no way was I calling this guy a liar by any means. What I was saying is that I don't believe that the fish in there are a result of fish slipping through. The man himself and I quote said "We believe the source of these fish was escapement from our Linesville Fish Hatchery", (meaning they aren't sure either).

What I was saying is I don't see how a few slipping over is what caused these fish to be in there. Once again, wasn't calling the man a liar. It seems that he's given honest answers in the past regardless of what they are, which is great.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account