2011/06/19 16:22:55
troutguy
Over the past 5 years or so I've been fishing for smallmouth bass in the Shenango River in Sharpsville, from the dam down to the first bridge. Usually the average size fish was like 10-12in long, and caught them on a regular basis all summer long. Only fished it a few times last year, not really fishing for bass as much as I did in the past, but the average fish seemed to be about 7in instead, and caught a big one around 18, but nothing in the middle, like there was a year class missing or something. I was only out a couple times this year by the dam fishing for eyes, white bass, and whatever else would bite, but didn't fish farther down at all for smallies. So has anyone caught many bass this year so far?
2011/06/19 19:09:34
rippinlip
I think the amount of rain we have in the Spring has a lot to do with the year classes down the road.The spot I was fishing today was good but not so good last year.
2011/06/20 00:01:02
spg
Use to fish the river a lot.  Tiny torpedo thrown across and down stream and reeled back up stream would always produce bass especially where he water starts to flatten out after the riffles.
2011/06/20 13:12:11
fiftydollar
Funny, I have started floating the Shenango the last few years and I mostly get fish between 12-16 inches. What size lures are you using? Maybe you should try sizing up. Try going further down the river.
2011/06/20 13:46:37
troutguy
Yeah the average was more like 12(except for last year). The lures that I use weren't really small. I have caught some fly fishing on small nymphs, but for the most part I was using bigger flies and spinfishing with spinners, crankbaits, pastics, etc. I'll need to try fishing it now since its lower.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
2011/06/20 13:49:38
troutguy
---------

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
2011/06/20 16:41:33
SmMouthSeeker
I've fished it from April to the first week of June in different places. I've caught more large mouths than smallies on small rooster tails and floating rapalas. I had to work at it most days.
2011/06/20 17:40:59
troutguy
I might try fishing it sometime this week. Never fished tubes there, might have to pick some up. I fished it by the dam the week before walleye season opened and in with the tons of eyes and white bass I did get a smallie about 12in, so all hope is not lost, but I have yet to fish it downstream so far this year.
2011/06/21 12:48:39
steelhound
I was carp fishing up there yesterday and this silly game fish jumped on my line
2011/06/21 15:45:06
troutguy
Thanks for the pic steelhound. I fished French last weekend and caught a few on topwater and I really have the itch to go smallie fishing now! and Shenango is much closer to home.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account