2019/06/13 07:25:58
phishfearme
My buddy and I spent yesterday (6/12) on Kahle Lake throwing fathead minnows, creek chubs and crawlers (usually cut in half).  My observations posted on this blog in the recent past has been that this lake's characteristics have TOTALLY changed - and yesterday provided more confirmation.  What previously was one of the best panfish lakes in the state (jumbo perch, slab crappies and huge bluegills) has been pretty much decimated.  Also, a day on Kahle would previously produce numerous bucket mouths well over the 15inch limit - now it seems there's none left - as soon as a bass gets to legal size it is caught and kept.

Yesterday we caught 60 largemouth bass - not one over 14.5 inches and the vast majority at about 12-13.  kinda fun but kinda disappointing also.  We also caught 5 blue gills (4 of which were very nice), one 8.5 inch perch and zero crappies.  VERY disappointing. 

This lake calls out loud and clear for panfish enhancement status - placing a 9 inch limit on perch, gills and crappie would at least prevent fishermen from keeping everything they catch that's legal and grinding them up into fish patties.

I plan to write a message to this effect to the fish commission and encourage all of you who loved Kahle in the past to do the same.

phish
2019/06/13 09:59:46
psu_fish
Having spoken with the local WCO about Kahle, he is in favor or getting rid of the "Big Bass Regulations". IMO, the Largemouth bass are way over carry capacity. Lower the size limit to 12 and daily limit to 6, and thin the herd. Back when the lake was at full pool, PFBC was stocking other predatory fish like Tiger Musky and Walleyes, both stockings have been dropped, several years ago.

The Amish over the past 5-8 years have bought a lot of farms in Beaver, Salem and Richland Townships, Clarion County, as well as Richland Township, Venango County. Whenever we get a good season of ice, the pan fish get hammered, and when its spring time, it a double whammy. Being only 251 acres, and with the current 3 foot drawdown, this lake simply cannot handle all the pressure.

2019/06/13 10:54:26
BeenThereDoneThat.
The key word being "BASS". Khale is no different from any other lake in PA that's been targeted as a "BASS" lake.

Blame the the Amish or the Menonites all you want but they ain't the reason Wilhelm, Arthur, Shenanago, Pymy, Khale, etc has soured, just like many other lakes in Penn's Woods.

Yes, limits should be imposed on certain waters for the time being but the 'key' to the depreciation of our fisheries as was once known, is the PennStateFishandBoatCommission misguided by BASS.

That's my story annnnnd I'm stickin to it. 🍻
2019/06/13 14:35:31
phishfearme
psu_fish
with the current 3 foot drawdown, this lake simply cannot handle all the pressure.

the lake is the highest I've seen it in years - are they letting it fill again?  we were able to launch at the south ramp easily.

phish
2019/06/13 14:40:50
phishfearme
BeenThereDoneThat.
The key word being "BASS". Khale is no different from any other lake in PA that's been targeted as a "BASS" lake.

Blame the the Amish or the Menonites all you want but they ain't the reason Wilhelm, Arthur, Shenanago, Pymy, Khale, etc has soured, just like many other lakes in Penn's Woods.

Yes, limits should be imposed on certain waters for the time being but the 'key' to the depreciation of our fisheries as was once known, is the PennStateFishandBoatCommission misguided by BASS.

That's my story annnnnd I'm stickin to it. 🍻

you may want to reconsider your story!  Kahle has been a big bass lake for decades and for many many years there was a terrific mixture of jumbo panfish and jumbo bass.  what changed was the number of Amish moving into the area in the last 6-7 years and their daily harvesting of everything legal - by everyone in the boat - irrespective of size.

that's my story and I would like to see evidence to the contrary.

phish
2019/06/13 16:27:47
psu_fish
phishfearme
psu_fish
with the current 3 foot drawdown, this lake simply cannot handle all the pressure.

the lake is the highest I've seen it in years - are they letting it fill again?  we were able to launch at the south ramp easily.

phish

with all this rain we have gotten, the lake up. PFBC wants to keep lake at 3 feel below full pool. It was 6, but a local group of anglers and citizens, along with State Rep, got PFBC to reduce the drawdown amount.
2019/06/13 16:45:33
BeenThereDoneThat.
phishfearme

you may want to reconsider your story!  Kahle has been a big bass lake for decades and for many many years there was a terrific mixture of jumbo panfish and jumbo bass.  what changed was the number of Amish moving into the area in the last 6-7 years and their daily harvesting of everything legal - by everyone in the boat - irrespective of size.

that's my story and I would like to see evidence to the contrary.

phish

So has every lake that has suffered the same consequences from the PennStateFishandBoatCommission toying with the BASS programs and those lakes died well before the onslaught of Amish families to the areas.

Now, that being said, I do not disagree that many lakes are being over fished.  I have myself spoken of changes I've seen not only in fishing but hunting as well, related to the "over harvesting" by Amish, as well as others.

2019/06/14 06:52:29
ICE NUT
Me thinks that if u caught 60 largemouth bass in a 251 acre lake and they are all stunted it screams there needs to be a thinning of the herd!!!!!!
2019/06/14 08:24:59
CAPTAIN HOOK
I agree Ice it kind of makes sense if they seem stunted to thin some out. Funny thing about small lakes and ponds big fish can still be around , just have lots of smaller natural feed so they don't eat as often.

Amish I've witnessed fishing don't just keep only big fish and toss small back ....they keep all ! So if they are keeping huge numbers of Blue Gill and smaller fish maybe that does hurt Bass populations but 60 fish in a day doesn't sound like a Bass shortage ! I highly doubt that Amish are tossing any Bass back.

Dump in about 10lbs. of fathead minnows in every year and get the baitfish breeding again.
2019/06/14 09:34:35
BeenThereDoneThat.
CAPTAIN HOOK

Dump in about 10lbs. of fathead minnows in every year and get the baitfish breeding again.

Didn't the PennStateFish&BoatCommision try something similar using shad?

Ohhhh, silly me after years of area lakes being vacant of any shad, it was the angler suddenly polluting the waterways with the little critters.

Funny, how that happened following the "Trophy Bass" projects.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account