2007/08/03 11:40:15
eyesandgillz
ORIGINAL: pghmarty

ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

I pulled the cover off my 15 last night to try and find the serial number and couldn't find it. I even used a flash light. Don't know how they can check it if you can't find it.

My 1983 Johnson 15 hp has the serial number stamped on the flywheel.  There should be a plate on the mouting bar or shaft housing too but the original owner of my boat removed them so that if he got checked (when 10 hp was the max. at most of the restricted lakes) they would be forced to search for the serial number.  Haven't been to pymy with my boat yet but I am not going to worry about it.  15hp isn't pushing it any faster than the boats with legit 10hps anyhow. 

Removing or altering a serial number is a much more serious offence than having too much HP

I will be pleading "ignorance" if anyone ever makes a stink!  :-)  The plates were gone when I bought it, it is an older motor, and I can produce the title to say I wasn't the original owner.  I am definitely not going to lose any sleep over it because the speed my boat travels (16 mph gps with half a tank a gas and two batteries removed and me alone running downstream on the Yough) shouldn't be garnering any undo attention!
2007/08/03 11:50:39
pghmarty
It is probably not something to worry about on an older or used boat.
New motors with the serial # missing or altered could be a problem.
To have them look into such a detail the guy would need to be a total prick or ****ed and looking for anything.

2007/08/03 12:29:06
*commander*
ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

blowing by at 20MPH? My LEGAL 18, will push my 17ft Tracker at close to 30, and I get passed by others with legal motors.

wow, thats pumping. i'm gonna have to do some tuning. i was referring more to pymy(10 hp), but i must be out of the loop on how fast those little motors can go.
2007/08/03 20:12:15
BIGHEAD
Moto I doubt my buddy was lying about the gammy's checking boats! He said they were park right at the dock.
2007/08/03 20:33:24
bingsbaits
I went over my 15 again and had a friend of mine look for a serial number and we cannot find one..This is a 1999 motor and came fresh from a big boat dealer.. My 15 on my 14 ft fishing boat will go 22mph by the gps...
2007/08/03 22:04:49
pghmarty
What brand?

Mercury Outboards  The serial number tag is located on the SWIVEL BRACKET (port or starboard); or, check the INSTRUCTION PLATE, located between the thumb screws above the steering tube.
To view an image of the plate location, CLICK HERE

Mariner Outboards The serial number tag is located on the top outside edge of the CLAMP BRACKET; or, on top of the SWIVEL BRACKET (port or starboard).
To view an image of the plate location, CLICK HERE
2007/08/03 23:57:59
Trout About
My 20 Honda pushed a 16' Sea Nymph deep V 18mph (GPS) with a full livewell and 2 fat people.  Now that it's on my 17' Lund, it goes a whopping 7-8mph with the wind at out backs.
2007/08/04 06:51:44
Luke 9:23
I'm curious if anyone here saw anyone get fined or a warning and how much it is- I'm legal but many years ago had a 15 on Pymatuning.  
2007/08/04 07:02:37
bingsbaits
 Marty I looked in all the right places even went online to mercury to get the exact location of the serial number plate. Can not find one. I did nor remove it. So I figure if its that hard for me to try and locate the fish wardens can't do much if they can't prove it.
  Mind you I don't rip around the smaller lakes (Woodcock,Canadohta,) but it sure helps on the long runs on pymy and Chautauqua.
2007/08/20 22:46:08
Lundrunner
I have been told that one OH state government member stands between 9.9 limit and 20hp limit.  PA has already passed it.  OH anglers please look into your governments stand on this.

I'll take a 20hp limit or a speed limit. 

Also look at the 40" statewide musky length limit that PA has passed.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account