2007/07/31 18:53:07
kayak99
ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Kayak,

You are right, there are no requirements for out of state boats beyond what is required of instate boats. I was just pointing out that he may be charged a launch fee on Army Corps. lakes, Pa. registered boats would be as well.

Ahh okay.  I thought you were talking about permits.  thanks

P.S.  Does Arthur now charge a launch fee?  sizers refers to a $15.00 fee for that lake.  Last time I boated there was years ago and there was no fee required so I am not certain if he's talking launch fee (which he would pay if there is one) or permit (which he should not have to pay). 
2007/07/31 22:02:49
spoonchucker
No launch fees at Arthur. Unless he stayed at one of the cabins, there MIGHT be a dock fee, or a fee for a transient dock at the marina. He may also have confused/misremembered Arthur, for Shenango.
2007/08/01 07:18:51
sixers
I have not been to Lake arthur in 5 years and my info/memory may be out of date and maybe I miss quoted the fee that I paid.  But here is the explanation from the website.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateParks/parks/moraine.aspx

"Non-powered boats must have one of the following: state park launching permit or state park mooring permit which are available at most state park offices; or current Pennsylvania boat registration. Motorboats must display a current boat registration. Boats registered in other states must display a Pennsylvania state park launch permit or mooring permit in addition to their current registration."

It is this state park launch permit that I was  refering to.  My point was that I ( being from Ohio)) would be sure to have a state park launch permit if I were to have a overpoered boat. I do recall paying the fee and placing the sticker on my boat.Another site:
DCNR launch permits now valid at PFBC site Permits issued by the DCNR allowing non-powered boats to launch at State Park lakes are now valid for use at access areas and lakes operated by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC). The reciprocal recognition of DCNR launch permits at PFBC launch sites was approved by the Commission earlier this year and became effective with the recent publication of the regulation change in the Pennsylvania Bulletin. Currently, the launch permits can only be purchased at state park offices. The present DCNR launch permit costs are $10 for state residents seeking one-year permits; two-year permits are $18 for residents. Non-residents pay $15 for a one-year permit and $28 for a two-year permit. DCNR boat mooring permits will also be valid for launching at PFBC sites. The Commission will begin to issue launch permits in December 2001. Those launch permits also will be valid at PFBC properties and at state parks. The introduction of launch permits provides a second option for non-powered boat operators who wish to use PFBC properties. Non-powered boat users already have the option to register their boats, granting them use of the PFBC properties and waters in State Parks. Boat registrations for non-powered boats are $10 for two years for both residents and non-residents. The Commission manages through state ownership, lease, or easements 62 publicly accessible lakes and nearly 250 waterside access areas which provide fishing and boating opportunities. There are 46 boating areas within the state park system.

2007/08/01 07:44:11
bingsbaits
I pulled the cover off my 15 last night to try and find the serial number and couldn't find it. I even used a flash light. Don't know how they can check it if you can't find it.
2007/08/01 15:32:49
eyesandgillz
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

I pulled the cover off my 15 last night to try and find the serial number and couldn't find it. I even used a flash light. Don't know how they can check it if you can't find it.

My 1983 Johnson 15 hp has the serial number stamped on the flywheel.  There should be a plate on the mouting bar or shaft housing too but the original owner of my boat removed them so that if he got checked (when 10 hp was the max. at most of the restricted lakes) they would be forced to search for the serial number.  Haven't been to pymy with my boat yet but I am not going to worry about it.  15hp isn't pushing it any faster than the boats with legit 10hps anyhow. 
2007/08/02 22:51:43
*commander*
like BIGHEAD said there is still as much boat traffic as ever. maybe the wco's(no offense to them) were told to blow some smoke and check everybody for a day or two. maybe the "brass" of the PFBC are trying something new to scare people. there are so many boats, so many motors, and so many launches. pretty hard to imagine the PFBC is going to risk the $$$ they receive from tourney permits, registration, etc... to try and shut people down for using hopped up motors. eventually theyll be able to do it with the manufacturers not being able to produce 2-stroke motors, but for now, theres very few wco's that are capable of being able to detect hopped up motors. imo the biggest problem are the guys that are blowing by people at 20 mph on restricted lakes. its not hard to figure out who's legal and who's not.
2007/08/02 23:15:47
spoonchucker
blowing by at 20MPH? My LEGAL 18, will push my 17ft Tracker at close to 30, and I get passed by others with legal motors.
2007/08/02 23:48:31
pghmarty
ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

My 1983 Johnson 15 hp has the serial number stamped on the flywheel.  There should be a plate on the mouting bar or shaft housing too but the original owner of my boat removed them so that if he got checked (when 10 hp was the max. at most of the restricted lakes) they would be forced to search for the serial number.  Haven't been to pymy with my boat yet but I am not going to worry about it.  15hp isn't pushing it any faster than the boats with legit 10hps anyhow. 

Removing or altering a serial number is a much more serious offence than having too much HP
2007/08/03 06:14:36
BIGHEAD
A friend of my fished the wensdaynight tourny and said the gammey's were on full force and checked everyone! It was to dang hot for me. There was alot of new tracker's with 25 forestrokes fishing the tourny's but my friend said not one was there this week.I guess it is working.
2007/08/03 11:05:00
mote1977
I fished the wednesday night tourny this week and didn't see a Commissioner all night or see anyone get checked. There were plenty of guys runnin 25 four strokes also.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account