2011/06/23 11:27:00
D-nymph

ORIGINAL: jayamy75

Hi,
I just purchased a pontoon boat with a 25 hp Mercury 2009 4 stroke EFI. The lake I want to put this boat on (Lake Arthur) has a HP restriction of 20 HP. Have they been really looking for this? Is there anyway I can put 20 HP Decals on this motor to disguise it? Can I swap the serial number stickers on the transom as well? Has anyone done this and has it worked?

I'm just trying to get around spending $1000 to downgrade my motor when neither of these motors will push this boat very fast anyway.

Thank you,

You should've bought a smaller boat.

I hope you use the decals, I hope you get caught and I hope your fines are more than the other motor.
2011/06/23 13:25:27
fishin coyote
Didn't take long to delete the Craig's list ad LOL
Mike
2011/06/23 13:29:22
TastyTrout

I hope you use the decals, I hope you get caught and I hope your fines are more than the other motor.

That's kind of a d*ck thing to say.
2011/06/23 14:06:25
D-nymph

ORIGINAL: TastyTrout

So be it.

Looking for advise on how to break the rules, because the boat you just bought won't go fast enough for you, with a legal motor, is a d*ck thing to do. Guys like that deserve to get caught, IMO.

You disagree?

Were the HP restrictions "made to be broken" or something?

One would think if a guy is going to buy a boat for a specific piece of water, he'd at least make sure that boat is friggin' legal on that piece of water before buying, no? Instead of buying and then later looking to blow off the regulations.

The regulations are there for a reason.
2011/06/23 14:32:41
Porktown

ORIGINAL: jayamy75

Hi,
I just purchased a pontoon boat with a 25 hp Mercury 2009 4 stroke EFI. The lake I want to put this boat on (Lake Arthur) has a HP restriction of 20 HP. Have they been really looking for this? Is there anyway I can put 20 HP Decals on this motor to disguise it? Can I swap the serial number stickers on the transom as well? Has anyone done this and has it worked?

I'm just trying to get around spending $1000 to downgrade my motor when neither of these motors will push this boat very fast anyway.

Thank you,

Jay,

They are out in full force checking. A 25HP is basically worthless. A straight up trade for a 1994 2 stroke pull start Evinrude would be your best bet. PM me, I might be able to help you find that perfect trade (maybe even a few extra bucks too).

PT
2011/06/23 16:34:47
**commander**
ORIGINAL: TastyTrout

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------you didnt really expect any less did you. just sayin'
2011/06/23 16:43:19
spoonchucker
Actually, the only time I've ever seen them checking motors was DURING a tournament. And that was when the HP limit was still 9.9.

If your not acting a fool, doing something dangerous, stopped over some other violation, or have 20HP stickers on a 50 HP motor. It's unlikely they'll ever check you.

A prop change can often make a big difference in preformance/speed.
2011/06/23 16:59:25
**commander**
what happened when/after they checked the motors? just askin'
2011/06/23 19:43:29
colty
if you put 20HP stickers on a 25hp 4 stroke motor you will get busted. you could get away with it on the 2 strokes but the hood on a 4 stroke 25 is twice the size of the hood on a 4 stroke 20. dont matter how fast your goin if your only fishing you could be trolling 1 mph they dont care when they see that motor they know its a 25 and your busted and you should be. its not a speed limit its a hp limit and its the law. its no dif than keepin a 14 1/2 inch walleye its illegal!
2011/06/23 20:33:33
spoonchucker
Commander,

I don't know what happened. I just happened to be at the launch, and saw them checking some boats. Guy at the dock said they were checking safety equipt. and motors. They showed no interest in me, and I returned the favor

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account