2011/07/07 19:47:03
Dr. Trout
Had my line out this afternoon and noticed a small "nibble" as I lifted the rod I felt a nice steady pull away. I set the hook and the fish continued going away from me pulling some "drag" out .. then suddenly ==== NOTHING...

I reeled in and saw my line was "broke" about 4 inches above the knot holding the hook.

I tied on another hook and added a half crawler and tossed to the same spot... within a minute I felt that same pull away set the hook and the battle was on... Much to my surprise it was a walleye ... a 22 inch walleye and sure as hell there in it's mouth was my other hook and crawler. AMAZING...

here's a couple pictures...

and here it is on the grill with some "brauts" for supper

2011/07/07 21:24:27
Fisherlady2
Nice! Congrats and glad to see you got to enjoy both the fight and a great meal on the grill!

2011/07/07 21:58:45
stevepf
Nice

2011/07/08 06:10:14
bingsbaits
Nice eye Doc, best eatin around.....
2011/07/08 07:17:14
woodnickle
Sweet! what lb. test were you using?
2011/07/08 08:16:33
Dr. Trout
6# Green Fluorocarbon that I bought last summer at Poor Richards to rig my Erie perch rod with and have fallen in love with it... have it on all my rods & reels now...

Diameter is less that 4 pound mono so is not very visible to fish and VERY VERY strong and abrasive resistant for the rocks in the river...

I enjoyed the walleye 10 times more than the "brauts"

I may go back to that spot later this afternon or early evening.. I think there is one more in there
2011/07/08 09:04:19
outfortrout
Nice one Doc! I've caught a couple of walleye in the river while fishing for trout but certainly none that nice.
2011/07/08 09:17:39
bingsbaits
Using the Floro Doc make sure you tie good knots. I found out the hard way that shoddy knots and Floro don't mix....
2011/07/08 09:34:09
Dr. Trout
Usually use a Palomar or a Trilene knot for 99% of my fishing knots...

I usually have no problem with them coming undone... and always re-tie when I get home before heading out for another day of river fishing ... sometimes I even take a minute and re-tie while I am fishing the river .. drifting along on the rocks can cause some damage but usually I'll get snagged and lose tackle often enough that wear and tear usually is not a problem either...
2011/07/08 09:51:07
outfortrout
Probably just a little nick in your line. He must have been really hungry to come back for seconds.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account