2011/08/05 14:33:37
troutguy
I just came across this and am sort of freaking out. If you scroll down there is a picture of a white perch caught in French Creek. Could it be a white bass instead? Does anyone have anymore info on this? If it really is a white perch then they could cause some harm to this great fishery.

http://fishpittsburgh.com/tag/lake-erie/
2011/08/05 14:45:35
RhnstnCowboy
Definitely looks like a white perch...
2011/08/05 14:53:56
FishinGuy
I caught a couple of what I swear were white perch at the crooked creek outflow last spring. I know what a crappie and white bass look like. This was basically a white bass w,only 1 stripe . Just like that pic. Do u recognize the spot in the pic as French creek? Could it just be a misplaced photo?
2011/08/05 14:58:38
FishinGuy
Anyone else ever catch a white perch out of the Allegheny or its tributaries?
2011/08/05 15:05:47
RhnstnCowboy
Aparently, they made their way in there, and its not a good thing...

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/perch_white/00whperch_overview.htm

http://www.ohiovalleyoutdoors.com/page/content.detail/id/500429/NW-Pennsylvania-Weekly-Fishing-Report---June-14--2011.html?nav=5013

"French Creek (Erie, Crawford and Venango Counties)

Dustin Shay (Meadville) reports that smallmouth bass fry have hatched so adult smallmouths are off beds and smacking spinnerbaits on the flats. He caught smallmouth up to 3.5 pounds this past week, along with some small walleyes. He also caught a small fish from French Creek which he believes is a white perch (not a white bass). If it is a white perch – an Atlantic drainage species – it would unusual to find it in French Creek; it would be the first time I’ve heard of one in that stream. When both species are so small, it is difficult to tell them apart – I cannot ID it from the picture alone."

2011/08/05 15:10:39
troutguy
Recently, white perch have been discovered in Raystown Lake, Lake Arthur, Edinboro Lake and in the Monongahela and Allegheny rivers. It is unsettling that the species has also found its way to Lake Lebouf, a natural lake within the aquatically diverse French Creek Drainage.

So Lake Lebouf might of been how they got into French. I noticed the date on the page says 2005 so....
2011/08/06 09:48:33
FishinGuy
The ones I caught were pushing 12" so they must have been here a while. I didn't know what they were or I woulda kept em.
2011/08/06 10:22:44
troutguy
Has anyone caught any in RAystown Lake, Lake Arthur, Edinboro, Lebouf or the Mon or Allegheny?
2011/08/06 10:53:31
JEB
Looks like a whitey, but thats pretty big. I've only caught some small ones out of Erie on the Ohio side.
2011/08/06 11:34:18
FishinGuy
Yeah most pics I can find of them seem like bout 10" is a good one the 2 I caught must have been beasts . Caught em right below cc dam(allegheny tributary) during high flows in the beginning of may last year. Look like a cross between a white bass and sheepshead but w one black stripe like a snook. Hit minnows near shore

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account