2011/08/19 08:51:29
tippecanoe
IDk I bought it to fish in the ocean when I was like 14.  I havent spin fished much in the past 5+ years, so I'm not sure.  I am going to re rig it with the heavier line that I mentioned.  It is pretty heavy, I mean, maybe not like 600 lb marlin heavey, but I think it will do.  you think a baitcaster is a better?  because of the physics/like winding perpindicular?   
2011/08/19 09:28:43
Plum Bob
Years ago, used to fish jigs a lot for muskies, especially in the fall. Dressed jigs, usually bucktail, black, 1/2 or 3/4 oz tipped with a plastic lizard or reaper. Pork eels work well also. This is the only application where I found spinning gear to be preferable to casting gear. 7' medium/heavy rated for 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz lures and 15 lb maxima ultragreen mono.

If you are into throwing heavier lures- jerks, bucktails, surface, etc, bait casting tackle with 80 lb braid is the way to go. Of course, just my personal opinion. You can get by with spinning gear. For most casting applications it just isn't the best choice.
2011/08/19 10:00:34
anzomcik
written On the rod should have the rateing for the intended use for lure, line, its action...

Readers digest version of why spinning isnt the prefered choice for musky fishing would be, (if you want to talk physics, pm me and i will make your head spin) First spinning reels lack the rigidity of casting reels, Spinning reels drags are depenednt on other components in the system, also generally speaking spinning reels are not built to handle (retreiving or casting) baits that weigh upwards of 13oz, so that would limit you to smaller baits and if you do have a musky to take your bait, they have better odds of takin the baits deep, and better chance of killing the fish....

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account