2011/08/08 03:00:17
Deadbolt
I'll be heading up to do some fishing Labor Day weekend, Rented a Cabin with the family around the zoo.

Never been there, but hear it's got good fishing. I'm not asking for spots or anything really, just some general information. I Google Earth'ed and say a few streams, such as Farnsworth, and I also saw Chapman State Park.

I've done some research, and apparently the Kinzua Tailwaters hold some fish. Trout, walleye, Musky, Pike and whatnot. I am I right in assuming when "tailwaters" is mentioned, its right below the Dam/Spillway?

I figured i could tangle my flyrod in some trees around the streams, and snag some Spoons/Swimbaits in the tailwaters.

Any general info, tips or whatever is welcome. Also, Is there a Beer dist or anything up there, I'll be near Clarendon.

thanks in advance folks!
2011/08/08 11:57:30
Ledhed
Fishing in the streams and tailwaters is pretty slow right now because of warm temps and low water level.. The tailwaters (discharge below the dam) is slow but fish are being caught.. Chapman dam has some nice rainbows and browns but early morning /evening seems to be the better time for fishing there.. same goes for Farnsworth but there you will have to fish riffles and deep hole and it is also slow going.. There is a beer dist in Sheffield(Sheffield Beer and Ice) that is 3 miles or so East of Clarendon.. Best of luck and enjoy your trip..
2011/08/08 13:03:23
troutguy
I've never fished the Allegheny, but the tailwaters are supposed to be good for just about everything, and the water temp should be ok cuz of the cold water coming out. I've fished Chapman once only for a half an hour, and caught a nice bass on my first cast but nothing else. Fished Farnsworth once and dind't catch or see anything. I'm not an expert on the area but if you want to know of a few wild trout streams in the general area shoot me a PM.
2011/08/08 14:13:52
graveydavey
When we would fish with the kids we would fish the resevior.We would find a nice shoreline with a gradual slope so the kids could splash around.We would have food and drink,then I would rig everyone with a half ounce slip sinker #4 OR #6 hook add a blown-up nightcrawler,wade out up to my chest and let'r rip,leave the bail open, walk back to shore, close the bail,reel up the slack,set in a rod holder,hang a bobber on the line and sit back and relax,play with the kids;what ever.We always had a good time whether we caught fish or not,but I'd say we caught fish just about every time.Have fun and if you get the chance check out Rim Rock and Jake's rock while your in the area.
2011/08/08 15:34:04
bingsbaits

ORIGINAL: troutguy

I've never fished the Allegheny, but the tailwaters are supposed to be good for just about everything, and the water temp should be ok cuz of the cold water coming out. I've fished Chapman once only for a half an hour, and caught a nice bass on my first cast but nothing else. Fished Farnsworth once and dind't catch or see anything. I'm not an expert on the area but if you want to know of a few wild trout streams in the general area shoot me a PM.

If they did a bottom release and stuck to it that would be true. But they don't. The temps can fluctuate 10 degrees during the day.
Temp for the last few days has been 72-75 degrees, fishing has been a little tough during the day.
2011/08/08 17:33:11
Deadbolt
Awesome guys, thanks a ton for the info! I'll be up there with a buddy who's an avid fisherman, and my family and his ball and chain. So, We'll be doing a bit of everything up there.

I've got fly rods, so I'll be taking a shot at the small streams. I've never caught native fish, so maybe I'll try to gather info on that.  I figured because it's been so hot, that the streams would be down.

Also long shot here, but I remember being a kid, and going to an Elk Viewing Area somewhere up north. I have no idea where it was, but man those elk were amazing to see. Any areas up there like that?
2011/08/08 19:35:40
troutguy
bings, I thought it was always bottom release? I guess not..

Deadbolt, Yea if you've never caught any native brook trout definitely do it, it is so much fun! PM me if you need any info on them. Even if you don't catch many fish you'll still have a great time and the scenery is awsome. Have fun!

2011/08/08 20:42:19
bingsbaits
TG I don't think it is.
Looks like a top release is 70-75degree temp on the gauge.
And a bottom takes it down to under 66.Mabee when they generate electricity they take it from the bottom...
Only way I can explain these daily temp variations.

But I could be wrong...
2011/08/09 01:14:30
bearfisherman
I always thought the temps rose when they generated since they pulled the water from the top and dropped it down over the turbines.
2011/08/09 08:10:11
bingsbaits
You could be right there I may have it backwards...

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account