2011/07/24 10:00:04
worm_waster
Well, my inlaws have a cabin rented for the week of August 12th.

I have never fished Pymy that time of year and I haven't fished Pymy at all for over a decade. In the 90's we fished the Linesville end in May pretty frequently.

Fortunately, the cabin is at the Jamestown end of the lake. I would image that the deep end would be more productive that time of year.

Any suggestions for eyes, crappies of perch? I may try for musky as well.

General info is fine.

Thanks.w_w.
2011/07/24 17:16:52
spg
Deep during the days and weed lines at night.  The last time I tried to fish in August I was catching crappie and perch in the deep crappie cribs around the 20 foot mark.  I found that once there is a full blown algae bloom the fishing goes down hill.  I would suspect with all this heat there is or was a heavy bloom.  With these hot temps we're  having and the ones forecasted for the next 2 weeks any fish you catch should just about be poached by the time you get them to the boat.
2011/08/16 18:12:11
Nbobich
You do any good? I am camping at Jamestown this up coming weekend and we are renting a poontoon boat on monday. We are hoping to catch some walleye.
2011/08/17 09:22:25
JDRamz
hey nbobich im in pleasnt hills too nice to meet you.
2011/08/17 16:37:48
worm_waster
Here's my report (fairly long version)

I haven't fished south of the causeway in almost 20 years, and never this time of year. I really didn't expect to do very well. Everyone tells me that this is going to be a tough time of year. I received a few pms (thanks) and headed South.

I met up with Mika at dawn and we launched out of bay 41. The air temp is 49..brr with clear skies and light winds.

We started slow trolling a variety of bbs and harnesses, with a few cranks tossed in. Through a variety of depths with no action. We decided that because of the cold front that they wanted something even slower. We decided to drift crawlers through the deep water and bang....catfish, soon thereafter another and another...but not one other species was caught. Fishless at 10am, we decided to drift over a sunken island and we were into crappies, big gills and perch pretty quick. We would just drift over it and back troll back above it. After a while, I decided that I would try a jig a caught a short walleye. A 19.5" followed shortly. Mika gets a bite on his jig and is fast into a walleye nearly two feet long. A few more shorts and a ton of gills and a half dozen perch and crappies hit the ice. All from the same spot.

Next morning, drifted and backtrolled crawlers got a nice smallie and a good crappie along with scads of gills. Trolled cranks and caught a channel cat. headed in at 9:30 and had breakfast. got 2 dozen minnows. headed once again to the same spot and drifted minnows and caught crappies and perch until I ran out of bait. Went back to nightcrawlers and got 4 short eyes and a few more crappies and perch Headed in to cut fish at 5. For the most part, I had better success on all species between 10 and 3 (WEIRD) My chart plotter was almost black over the area. I didn't get snagged nearly as much as I expected, and judging from what I caught, next year is going to be a banner year for eater walleye there.

All in all, including the smaller keeper walleye, 2 small channel cats to try, a few deep hooked gills, I managed enought decent crappies and perch to feed 19 people on Saturday night with just a few left over.

Had fun, and I'm sure the inlaws will get the cabin again next year. And I'll be there....w_w.
2011/08/17 18:49:04
camo1013
 sounds like you had a great time ,cant wait to get on the water in couple weeks.
2011/08/17 20:24:02
ridgehunter
worm_waster, not doubting your report but I question the temp in the morning?  My buddy and I was up there 8-15 and the temp never got down that low in the morning.

Anyway.  We threw, drifted and trolled everything we had in 3 tackle boxes and only caught 2 sub legals.  That's the ONLY thing that we caught.

There was a major low pressure system that brought heavy rain at times which basically shut down the bite on the lake.

The front came thru the next morning but we had to head out.  I've had decent luck trolling hot n tots and rattling raps in August, but it all depends on the weather.  The causeway has been most productive during that time.
2011/08/17 20:29:44
bingsbaits
Well done, nice batch of fish and some good company.........
2011/08/17 22:48:12
worm_waster
This was Friday 8/12 Ridgehunter
2011/08/17 23:47:20
woodnickle
And it was chilly..49 at my house when I left to meet up wit w-w at 430.
It was weird too that the fish were biting after 12 better than the morning,
especially with a blue bird day. Not a cloud and no wind at times.
w-w I,ll be your co pilot anyday...:)

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account