2011/09/08 20:10:50
ready2fish
The action of the rod being used to toss trebles also has a great deal to do with landing percentage. Line strech plays a factor also. Get both of those in tune, and have quality, sharperned hooks, and landing percentage goes up.

A rod that is "fast" action generally can tear the hooks out. A slower action helps cushion the blow of the head shakes and jumps, much like a long noodle rod does for steelhead. Mono will strech somewhat which also cushions the blows to the trebles.

I have to admit.....last week I lost a ton of bass at Pymatuning. I had them biting a 3" popper around weeds. I was tossing it on a soft tipped medium action spinning rod and 8 lb braided line. The popper is so light that mono just would not work, I tried, plus with the weeds the braid helped dig the fish out. In that situation I just couldn't keep many hooked. They'd get into the weeds, pull free, jump, and throw the bait. Many factors going against me.
But that just goes to show that in some cases the odds are stacked against keeping the fish hooked.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account