2011/10/17 19:02:55
Cold
As one of the aforementioned 'catered-to' fly guys, I'd like to offer that 90% of the trout water that I consider to be top-notch trout fishing isn't designated by any sort of special reg. at all. In fact, many of these designated areas are essentially 'spot burned' by the PFBC. Most of the best fishing isn't in a CRFFO, DHALO, ATCR, or any other abbreviation, but instead there's limited access, meaning that to get there, you have to get away from the parking lots, restrooms, signs, mowed grass, and even the well worn dirt trails. Coincidentally enough, in my experience, this also means getting away from the balled up 30# mono, empty worm tubs, salmon egg jars, mealworm sawdust, hook packages, and wal-mart bags.

Does this mean that the presence of bait-dunkers ruins the fishing? Not strictly, but the absence of the careless ones definitely improves it.

Does this mean that bait-dunkers are the only careless morons in the outdoors and that all fly guys are eco-conscious saints? Not at all...but when was the last time you saw a parking area littered by leader packages, empty tippet spools, and Gink bottles?

I think the 'special regs are unfair' argument is nothing more than sour grapes ranting by those too stubborn (or too lazy) to search for their trout or change up their methods. Nobody tells you that you aren't allowed to tie on a spoon and hit a DHALO. You'd just rather sit at home and complain about how unfair the world is than to get out there and catch some fish.

Fact is, just like the taxes you pay are no longer your money once you send it to the government, likewise your license fees are no longer your own money once you send it to the PFBC. If they decide to take their money and buy trout to stock in special regs areas, those aren't your trout. Just like there are regulations for regular trout water (you aren't allowed to net them, poison them, shock them, etc.), there are regulations on DHALOs and CRFFOs. I dont hear ANYONE complain that they're not allowed to use gill nets in ATWs, even if that IS their preferred method. They just grab their rod and reel and hit the water, agreeing to comply by the rules of the waters they choose to fish. Likewise if the water is a DHALO or CRFFO, you're still very much allowed to fish it, just comply with the rules.

...and once you DO make the decision to take up a fly rod and leave the knucle-dragging mouth-breathers at the parking lot...

...you can come back and thank the uber fly snobs for enlightening you.
2011/10/18 10:09:23
kylerloveshotdogs
lmfao

Team America, Fluck Yea! Come to save the motherflucking day yea!
2011/10/18 10:16:33
ShutUpNFish

2011/10/18 14:35:42
Split Shot

ORIGINAL: kylerloveshotdogs

all i can say is, The most non-littered and ethical waters I have ever fished seem to be that way because of the fisherman and the respect given toward one another while on them.  Funny how fish hold in these places all year (for the most part), and the bank isn't covered in hot dog wrappers, unless kyler was there, and broken beer bottles.  i could drone but I am getting some good rest off and L

Yea, but what about all those Cigar ashes?
2011/10/18 15:39:01
Accountant

ORIGINAL: Cold

As one of the aforementioned 'catered-to' fly guys, I'd like to offer that 90% of the trout water that I consider to be top-notch trout fishing isn't designated by any sort of special reg. at all. In fact, many of these designated areas are essentially 'spot burned' by the PFBC. Most of the best fishing isn't in a CRFFO, DHALO, ATCR, or any other abbreviation, but instead there's limited access, meaning that to get there, you have to get away from the parking lots, restrooms, signs, mowed grass, and even the well worn dirt trails. Coincidentally enough, in my experience, this also means getting away from the balled up 30# mono, empty worm tubs, salmon egg jars, mealworm sawdust, hook packages, and wal-mart bags.

I agree with this. Lets face, the best places to catch trout are also places that the PFBC hasnt been labled. As a matter of fact, a lot of them don't even show up on higbee maps and so forth. And no one is stopping anyone from using worms or flies or anything else to catch fish on these streams.

2011/10/21 14:59:57
Jester
FWIW, it's my take that permissible or not, it's not what was intended by the regulations.  IMO, using any type of scented soft bait that is designed to get the fish to eat it as food rather than be visually stimulated to hit is outside the lines. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account