2011/10/07 17:44:37
wade alexander
or is it because money talks and it makes the fly only guys happy to have their own areas away from others...hmm

the catch and release only thing is good in areas where their native and not stocked fish,but if their stocked fish i dont see the point.

the only thing that comes close is big bass regs in some areas...and its for the same reasons.

idk to me a trout stamps a trout stamp, sucks your excluded from fishing for trout in some areas :)P

2011/10/07 18:56:37
bigben7
10 years ago my local artificial only delayed harvest area had banned any molded soft plastic bait. i am not sure if that is still the case.

i am going to try to research this when i have the time myself.
2011/10/07 19:23:24
kill3ducks1deer
ORIGINAL: wade alexander

or is it because money talks and it makes the fly only guys happy to have their own areas away from others...hmm

the catch and release only thing is good in areas where their native and not stocked fish,but if their stocked fish i dont see the point.

the only thing that comes close is big bass regs in some areas...and its for the same reasons.

idk to me a trout stamps a trout stamp, sucks your excluded from fishing for trout in some areas :)P

But you arent really excluded, just use some spinners. They are hoping that the trout will live for more than a week in these creek, most have a decent flow and nice pools. The trout have a better chance of living there.  And its not because of the fly fishing guys, i fish almost 99% of the time with spinning gear and love the fact that they have DHALO and catch and release only creeks. I pay so they stock the trout, not so that everyone can take the trout except me. I like being able to fish after may for trout and these places allow me to do so.

2011/10/07 19:55:40
wade alexander
who says people using live bait or the gulp baits ect. keep any more fish than people fly fishing?

you can make the argument that more are gut hooked, but thats pretty much a giving anytime you cast jigs, or fall asleep on the bank with a bobber bouncing around :)P

theres limits on fish for a reason... some people fish for food some for fun.  

is just interesting because trout is no different than any other species of fish but this is the only place you see regs like that

2011/10/07 20:18:54
Esox_Hunter
Special reg areas offer more opportunity for anglers to target trout, which is the most popular gamefish in this state.  They also make the PFBC trout stocking program a better investment, since these trout can be caught numerous times throughout the entire year (i.e. more bang for their buck). 

2011/10/07 20:41:10
wade alexander
 they are cutting off a large portion of fishing areas, so yea they are offering more opportunity theres less pressure...

its just the catering to fly guys honestly. nothing against fly fishing, but it is what it is.

i can see where the topic of fly fishermen snobbery thread came from lol

is just funny  if its all about money id rather certain people just come out and say it "were catering to special interests F' you guys" then say oo its about substantiating  a fragile eco-balance of  pellet raised fish that wont make it thru the yr or live to reproduce...

2011/10/07 22:36:05
Esox_Hunter
Please do quantify what "large" portions of fishing areas means to you.  Before you respond, bear in mind PA has over 10,000 miles of stocked/wild trout streams.

The special reg areas have nothing to do with establishing sustainable adult trout stocking in PA.  It is a way to get a better return on their stocked fish production and give more opportunity to anglers.  If you chose not to take advantage of the special reg areas, then so be it.    

2011/10/07 23:19:08
wade alexander
please its a joke...many portions of rivers and streams are pretty inaccessible. unless you got a machette or float it and get out along the way, occasionally carrying your canoe or kyak.

all your really stating man is yea we cater to the "fly guys" which is cool just why dont they buy a different tag or fish on private property;)

isnt nothing against you man i just dont agree with the regs. its discussed in many states/forums, with the same bs answers and all goes back to the same deal. theres money to be made pleasing pple and screwing others... isnt a big deal to me but pretty clear to see

2011/10/08 09:44:23
Ymesss

2011/10/11 18:31:42
doubletaper
not sure why i glanced at this thread but it got interesting to me as i kept reading.
Wade A. i am interested in what you are asserting but let me insert a few things about this "catering to fly guys"

they are cutting off a large portion of fishing areas, so yea they are offering more opportunity theres less pressure...
its just the catering to fly guys honestly. nothing against fly fishing, but it is what it is.

1. let's see as far as catering to fly guys and how much large portions fly fishing only takes away.
there are less fly fishing only areas than counties in PA. a lot less so that isn't much on the catering side. if you check many of these fly fishing only areas are on private landowners property or at least surrounded by them. i'm sure if these areas were open to everyone they might get posted! (something to think about)

2. there are more miles of artificial lures only than fly fishing only areas. fly fishermen can use these areas as long as they stay within the artificial restriction. i don't consider this to a fly fishermen catering. if anything it's catering to artifical lure users which i would bet there are many more of them that do not use fly rods than do! so they are more catering to lure users than just fly guys.

3. do fly fishermen keep more fish than other fishermen? i'm not sure if there is an estimated count but i would bet they don't by a long shot. heck, all the Fly Fishing Only Areas are catch and release. do i need to say more if they only stay in these areas because they want a place to themselves?

4. stating that a few miles of streams in PA dedicated to flyfishermen and calling it catering is like saying the game commision caters to archers, muzzle loaders, trappers, and other PA commissions (lack of a better word) caters to off road vehicles, tour buses, etc..

5. i'm not sure how the special fishing restrictions happened along but i'm sure there were a group of special interest fishermen that asked for these small pieces of water for there own way of fishing. if you check these areas you may not know that some of these areas were very hard to reach the water until the fly guys, lets say, put in time and cleared the area to make it more fishable. quite a few of these areas are stocked by fly-fishing clubs or clubs who want the areas used for artificial lures.

6. if you have time ask questions about the DHAL area of the Neshannok creek. you'll find that a lot of the shore line was off limits in town to fishing all together. i heard it wasn't until the fish commission and the property owners came to an agreement of making it a DHAL only that they again let people on their private land to fish.

7. i too didn't care for the few restricted areas set aside for special regulations until i seen that these areas might not have been open to the public anyway.

8. oh, i hate the trout stamp. always did and always will! there is no other fishing in PA that you have to get taxed for to fish except trout.

9. if a fly guy had to buy a different tag to fish, i would say that the PA fish commission is picking on us

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account